7z.exe versions and WPI.

Kelsenellenelvian,

I got curious and ran some tests using the cmd prompt. When I ran your 7z.exe (4.42 or 4.57) version I got either 'not a valid archive' or 'unable to open archive' errors. This explains why my Install did not work when I first used 6.4 (forgot to replace your 7z with my 64 bit version). I had DLed the latest nLite archive and saw that there was a 4.42 version of 7z.exe. Since nLite seems to work fine for me with no changes, I was wondering what was going on. nLite's copy of 7z is the same byte count as yours (4.42) but the hashes are different.

A digression here: how about supplying hashes with your releases, so we can verify they DLed correctly? Please, thanks!

I ran a test with the nLite 7z.exe and it worked fine. I then replaced the 7z in your tools folder with the nLite one and the Install also worked fine. This may be a workaround for supporting both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win XP.

I looked at the properties (Version Tab) and found that yours says 7z for Internal Name and 7z.exe for Original File Name. The nLite one says 7zd and 7zd.exe respectively. Also when I run nLite 7z (cmd prompt) the first line includes: 7-Zip (A) [NT] 4.42. Yours, simply: 7-Zip 4.42.

I posted in the nLite forum about my concern about the 32 bit version of 7z. The only response I got did not address my concern. It does not seem to be a concern considering my tests - although I only tested .7z and .rar archives.

I don't know what this all means but thought it was interesting.

Enjoy, John.