NTLDR is missing + Windows Root System32\HAL.DLL

joegill1234

I hope someone can help me.

I have recently built a new PC using my old IDE drive and a new SATA drive.

I get two different error message depending on the boot setup in the BIOS.

First boot sequence

IDE hard drive then IDE CD

Error message

<Windows Root> System32\HALL.DLL missing or corrupt

Second boot sequence

SATA hard drive then IDE CD

Error message

NTLDR is missing

PC Hardware

Motherboard ASUS M2N-VM HDMI

Chipset Nvidia GeForce 7050PV / nForce 630A (MCP68PNVT)

Processor AMD Athlon Dual core 4400+

Memory 2 Gig 800 mhz

SATA Hard drive Hitachi Deskstar 160G

IDE Hard drive Maxtor 4D040H2

SATA DVD CD Burner TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S203D

IDE CD Drive TEAC CD-W512EB

No floppy disk installed

IDE Hard drive has two segments both with Windows XP SP2 installed

SATA hard drive has Windows XP SP2 installed using nlite Slipstreamed

SATA Disk setup as single drive not raid, I have not made any changes to the motherboard jumpers

they where left as recieved. I am quite happy to make change in the BIOS boot sequence

and if need be changes using command line.

Hope this is enough information and that someone is able to point me in the direction to grt this fixed.

Thanks Joe Stanton :rolleyes:

1)Did it work before or are you just transfering those two drives and XPs in a new system ?

2) You say there are 2 XP installations on the IDE drive,you have to know which one is booted (tha active one obviously) and to what disk and partition its boot.ini refers for XP to start. I think that's the HALL.DLL missing cause.

You need to integrate SATA drivers into your XP disc. Or better, switch SATA mode to "IDE" or "Compatible" in the BIOS, you've got to have that option in the Integrated Peripherals section.

AS far as I can tell I have integrated the SATA drivers, but am unable to change to IDE or Compatible in the BIOS.

Thanks Joe

1)Did it work before or are you just transfering those two drives and XPs in a new system ?

2) You say there are 2 XP installations on the IDE drive,you have to know which one is booted (tha active one obviously) and to what disk and partition its boot.ini refers for XP to start. I think that's the HALL.DLL missing cause.

The E\ Partition is marked as healthy BOOT and is the one I am currently using.

The C\ Partition is marked as healthy and system but I am unable to boot from it as when I try I get a string of number 99's. I am more than happy to delete this partition as I have copied all of the documents I need.

For information, I have downloaded a free trial of 'Acronis drive ' and it does not see the SATA drive. I can copy to it but the computer management console cannot delete, format or change it in any way but I can see the drive properties.

Thank you 'Ponch' for your advice.

Regards

Joe

[/quote

I have just done a search on the windows folder of the SATA drive and there is no sub folder NLDR. can I copy the one from the E drive windows folder

Thanks

Joe

I have just done a search on the windows folder of the SATA drive and there is no sub folder NLDR. can I copy the one from the E drive windows folder

Thanks

Joe

The NTLDR is a FILE, and it is only visible when you select "Show All Files" and unselect "Hide Protected Operating System Files" in Folder Options. You can try copying it from your other drive, but most likely you're going to run into something else next.

You need to integrate SATA drivers into your XP disc. Or better, switch SATA mode to "IDE" or "Compatible" in the BIOS, you've got to have that option in the Integrated Peripherals section.

Thanks for the response. I have got the drive to work ok but in a round about way, I did a clean install on the IDE drive and deleted the old partitions thereby starting with a clean install.

I installed Acronis True Image cloned the IDE to the SATA drive and it works fine.

Thanks once again

Regards

Joe

Ponch thanks for the response. I have got the drive to work ok but in a round about way, I did a clean install on the IDE drive and deleted the old partitions thereby starting with a clean install.

I installed Acronis True Image cloned the IDE to the SATA drive and it works fine.

Thanks once again

Regards

Joe