Setting a DHCP Reservation to a MAC Range

I've been total it's possible to set DHCP reservations for a MAC address range.

Example...

The range I need to Reserve IP's for is: 00107a7 I realize that is only 7 digits of a 12 digit MAC address. But those 7 Digits are the same on every product I have from this company. Part of those 7 digits is their manufacturer's ID.

What I need to know.

With windows DHCP is it possible to set a reservation for a Manufacturer's ID? Just have it check the first 4-8 digits before it issues the IP address?

If not, can anyone suggest a DHCP product (I'd even be tempted to check out a Linux solution) that would allow this to work?

I am not sure :)

Where I got the idea from, was a CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetworking Engineer), but I cannot get ahold of him to ask him how to do it. I would assume that surely windows is incapable of it... but I don't know for sure so I thought I would ask. :P

The problem with what you're doing is that it assumes only one such device will ever be plugged in at a time.

If you plug two devices in which match that MAC pattern, you'll end up with an IP conflict.

Depending on what specific configuration you want to assign to these devices, you might be able to get by with DHCP Class IDs - eg - if these devices all need to have a specific DNS server specified, you could use a vendor classID.

I don't think you can use Class IDs to assign a specific IP address, but you could write a DHCP plugin:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363373.aspx

I don't think the DHCP cpl is natively able to do what you are asking. I'm trying to think... I know that WDS has a function where you are given the ability (if you enable it) to approve all BOOTP requests from specific machines, but the DHCP cpl doesn't seem to have it.

You should just manage your asset inventory by keeping record of all computernames and MAC Addresses. All the companies that I have dealt with that uses this type of "permission required" DHCP all run it that way. They use network discovery to log all new machines, and the admin has to approve them (or adds them manually or imports from new inventory spreadsheets) before they can get served an IP address. Of course this specific example is used via Altiris Notification Server.