Regarding OOBE, product activation & post sp3 updates

eddie11013

Somewhere along the way, based on what I had read here, I had decided to check the box to ’skip’ OOBE when making a new nlited CD. Don’t remember the reason why. Also, when making a new nlite CD, I always start from scratch, meaning, using my original xp pro sp1 version as a starting point. I also select fully automated unattended and nlite automatically retrieves the product key from my original source. I don’t remember where it gets it, I just know that it does. Getting more to the point, when I test the finished “ISO” in a ‘virtual box’ virtual machine, and then visit windows updates, it always asks for product activation. Tells you to go to all programs, etc. for product activation. But, it is now my understanding that if you remove “OOBE”, product activation is not listed. And its not. Therefore, in the virtual machine, I am not able to see or get any windows updates. So you would think that I have an issue and that issue could be easily resolved by not skipping OOBE. However, when I go ahead with the installation, having checked the ‘skip oobe’ box, the installation proceeds smoothly. And when I visit windows updates, I am “not” asked for product activation and I am presented with whatever updates there might be. In my case, usually just two, one for windows messenger and one for .net 1.1. So am I doing something wrong?

And regarding the post sp3 updates, I had read somewhere that if you used these “sp3 beta’s”, you would not see any updates until the final rtm sp3. Yet, I have seen others post that they have been able to get some. Since I started using these sp3 beta’s I have not seen any ‘new’ updates. Actually, I would think that when the final rtm sp3 is released, it would in fact, include all these updates up to the present. So, again, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for reading and any advice/suggestions you might have,

Eddie

LAST_SESSION.INI