Languages - Only Non-English Characters Takes Up Space?

LeveL

Its a silly title I know, sorry.

What I mean is, I have noticed it seems some languages when removed do not take any size off the ISO at all. I guess thats because all the languages that use English characters are shared somehow? You remove Chinese/Korean type languages and it takes a lot of Mb's off your ISO, but take away say, all the Central Europe languages (its 15 or 20+ languages) it takes zero bytes off the ISO.

So my question is simple - there will be a certain selection of language removal where you're only selecting languages that are actually taking up space. I have no clue what that exact selection might be. All I know is Chinese and Asian types take up 99% of it.

Nuhi, do you know at all the exact selection of languages where it keeps as many as is possible but shaves off all the ones taking up space?

Wish I knew exactly which languages you can keep in order to just shave off the excess stuff.

Nuhi, you could code that into the app if you know the selection, like a button it just selects the languages for you or even just whats in the...

;# Languages #

...section of "Last Session.ini"

Nuhi, only you would know this, please divulge the secret!

You truly are a genius at this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

213 views and no replies.

In vLite, the main bulk of languages seems to be only 4 languages, all with non English characters, which I guess is why they take up 100Mb of so in XP and yet all the East Europe and American languages take up what, zero bytes?

Which languages take up space and which don't?

Well lets see here if you open a file in reshacker you see all English characters in the strings right?

Therefore by simple deduction English characters make up the greatest majority of the internally built-in languages.

So if you removed English Characters then you would really be messing up your windows because your native OS Lang is then missing.

Well lets see here if you open a file in reshacker you see all English characters in the strings right?

Therefore by simple deduction English characters make up the greatest majority of the internally built-in languages.

So if you removed English Characters then you would really be messing up your windows because your native OS Lang is then missing.

Its pretty clever how MS made it so its all shared like that.

I think I have found the answer, on Vista but if you do the same in XP I am sure its going to have similar results...

I only removed 5 items under languages and onme of those is not even a language so 4 languages removed...

Japanese

Korean

Simplified Chinese

Table Driven Text Input Processor

Traditional Chinese

This saves a ridiculous amount of space in Vista - over 1Gb I think on the installed OS.

Most other languages say between 0.2Mb and 0.95Mb (even Arabic does!) so I kept them. The ones that take up the builk like Japanese are hundreds of megabytes, Traditional Chinese for example alone is over 300Mb.