Windows XP Pro Logon Screen Watermark

theorist80

Hey everyone...I have inherited this Dell Optiplex GX280. This isnt preventing anything on this system from running but its more of an annoyance to me than anything.

I have looked at the Vista watermark removal (user32mui.dll or whatever) fix and that didnt work

I have registry edited the Desktop PaintedDesktopVersion change and that did nothing

I have registry edited the "HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows>WindowsNT" where it holds the watermark info and it did nothing

PIC-0021.jpg

PIC-0020.jpg

This watermark is ONLY on the logon screen. Once I logon, it disappears. Can someone/anyone tell me where I can find out how to remove this **** thing?

that was my face too. I have no clue what is the deal with this thing. Its 100% up-to-date, with all hotfixes, WGA authorized and all that fun jazz but I cant get this watermark off the logon screen. Im trying to figure out if someone put a policy or something on this thing that makes it do that on the logon but once you logon it disappears...maybe a previous tech did it or something but I have no clue and I have checked everywhere

Is tweakui installed? It has an option to enable the watermark for the user's desktop, as well as an option to copy desktop settings to the login screen. So maybe you could just set your desktop how you want the logon desktop to be and then transfer the settings with tweakui, then reset your desktop to how it was?

Try this:

Key Name: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\

Value Name: PaintDesktopVersion

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Data: (0 = disable, 1 = enable)

Thanks man! I didn't know about the one in the HKU, I only knew of the other one in HKLM but that did the trick! Thanks a ton for all the help guys! Now I am gonna take IDONTWANTSPAM's idea and put TweakUI on the system. Appreciate it guys!

Edited by theorist80

Thanks man!
No problem... :)
I didn't know about the one in the HKU
People tend to get mixed up on this all the time. :)

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT contains the settings for the logon screen. You can change the screen saver settings, wallpaper and other settings for the logon screen within that key.