I need help now! Trying to reformat .. I'm stuck!

angel

Hi guys,

I am trying to reformat my harddrive again. But the directions that worked for Win98 WON'T work for XP. I'm now stuck and can't go anywhere. How do you get to where you can format the harddrive?

I tried putting in the XP CD to do a clean install, but now the computer won't go to Windows XP at all. IT'S STUCK IN SETUP.

It won't give me any option to format C.

All I get when I put in the startup disk I created for XP is DOS on A:

The format C: option will not work

When I tried the Win98 startupdisk, I am told that "format not supported on drive C" I suppose this has something to do with no dos on xp.

I can't get my computer to do anything now.

How do I get to where I can format and reinstall xp?

I can't even do a reinstall from the CD because the options I get are install on drive D or install a 2nd copy or XP on Drive C.

What do I do next?

A Very Frustrated Angel

PS I started all the reformat stuff because using MSCONF.exe totally screwed up everything on my harddrive. I couldn't access internet and my whole destop had the classic settings, but classic settings were NOT checked. So I decided to reformat and reinstall because I had some problems anyway.

Try this...

Pop in your Win98 Startup disk, boot without cd support, and type "fdisk". In fdisk delete your primary partition, and then make a new one. Reset, and using the Win98 startup disk format the C: drive. The just re-Install WINXp.

goodluck

-drew

Thanks for the quick response!

fdisk did the trick.

I don't know why I didn't try that before, but I thought that since my harddrive was already partitioned, all I needed to do was format. But deleting the partition and creating another one gave XP a place to install. So it's reinstalling as we speak... or write.

I won't use MSCONFIG.EXE any time soon. I don't know why it messed everything up so bad. I just told it to load basic drivers so I could try to fix my Switch Users problem, and when I tried to go back to normal restart, NOTHING worked or LOOKED the same. Internet connection was gone and my taskbar looked like Win98 even though I was not on Classic settings anywhere. Norton AV was crossed out in the systray even though it was checked in MSCONFIG.EXE. All my pretty colored XP pages (control panels, etc.) went white instead of blue.

Thanks Again. I'm really glad I found this forum.

Angel