Observations, problems?, bugs?-WPI in XP x64

Kelsenellenelvian, I have DLed and run WPI on my XP x64 system and have the following observations:

Your folder contains 7z.exe (version 4.56(Beta)). I assume it is the 32 bit version. I have 4.57, 64 bit version installed on my system. My 7z.exe file is about 263kB and yours is about 144kB. Looks like they are quite different. Will yours work on my system? - don't know when it is used but have not done anything yet to invoke compression.

I DLed and tried two themes. All themes but the original (Glossy) would not show the 'small tutorial' in the manual - all blank after the title. The Evil_Vista theme displays a rectangle in a rectangle with a red X in the top middle. I also tried Classic and Spoof_euDock.

Of course, I don't know if these problems are caused by trying to run your application on my 64 bit OS or not.

When I looked at the FAQs on your website, I found several links that are dead.

I guess few or no one is interested in running WPI on XP x64. I cannot ask you to make available a 64 bit version for me, because I don't anticipate a heavy use. I enjoy learning about WPI and considering its use in building a boot disc. It looks like a great tool and I would very likely use it if were good-to-go on x64. Thanks for all your efforts.

If it matters, I have a 1440x900 resolution monitor.

John

Actually the 7z file MIGHT work but as you pointed out it is an older version. (It's only used for the extract command so for simple use it is not nesseccary)

As for the themes alot of those where made before the manual was added so the code is not fully in there.

I do appreciate the heads up on the themes and the bad links.

As for WPI on 64 bit if it actually ran without any config file then it should run fine with one. Maybe soon I will dual boot and check it out. (My last 64x experiance sucked, I tried it for like 2 days and really did not like it.)

Kelsenellenelvian, thanks much for your reply. Sorry you had a bad experience with x64 - mine has been great. Since x64 is based on Server 2003, it is more stable and tougher than XP. I have tortured mine a few times and expected to need to start from scratch but x64 hung right in there.

I was looking into the possibility of replacing your 32 bit version of 7-Zip with my 64 bit version. I looked at the 7z folder in the WPI Tools folder. I found the 7z.exe and the Codecs and Formats folders. These folders contain a bunch of dll files. The version of these files was 4.42. I DLed 4.42 and found the same structure. The 4.57 and 4.56 (both 32 and 64 bit) have a different folder structure and no Codecs and Formats folders. Are these folders really needed? Can I simply delete them and replace your 7z.exe file with mine?

I also have some basic questions I can't seem to find the answers for:

1. I DLed the Tools archive but you don't say what to do with it. What should I do with it? I assume I should not replace the Tools folder in the WPI folder (would wipe out 7z among others). Should I add the contents to the WPI/Tools folder?

2. I assume the high level qualifier must be XP to use %wpipath%. Can I change the definition of %wpipath% to match my high level qualifier?

3. Your sample folder layout does not show all the contents of the WPI folder I DLed. I assume I should copy the entire WPI folder into my Folder containing my CD contents and include the $OEM$.

Thanks again for your help...................John

Naw the WPi tools folder extra download is EXTRA tools for use with WPI it has files in it like a config lister and autorun files for wpi. Yes some of them can and should go into the tools folder. But you should use your own descretion on these.

"%wpipath%" is the commonly used for the initial variable when setting the commands.

yes you need nearly all of the files included in the main download. You can delete some of the files like all of the lang files and the examples folder you are not using BUT do you really need to save half a meg?

As for the 7zip files and folders I am pretty sure you can replace delete the old ones and use the newer one. I WOULD ask the member lawrenca first though as he is the developer of the extract section.