Cable modem connected to Ethernet port for ADSL wireless router

zillah

I am using a Motorola cable modem (one USB port and one Ethernet port) to access the net. I would like to connect that to a router; to share the network.

Right now I do not have a router (i.e. one Ethernet WAN port , and 4 Ethernet LAN ports) to do a sharing, because with this type of router the connection straight forward

But I have got two ADSL Wireless modem routers (NETGEAR DG834G V1and LinkSys WAG54G V2.0 (RJ 11 port and 4 Ethernet LAN ports)

Can I use one of those ADSL Wireless modem routers ? and connect my motorola modem cable to one of its LAN Ethernet port ? does it have any drawback ?

Unfortunately no you can't. The routers your referencing are not just routers but are actually gateways. A gateway is a modem and router built into one devise. That being said if you have an ADSL gateway means you have a ADSL modem and router built into one. ADSL uses the phone line as the medium to bring you the internet. Cable uses coax. What you would need is a cable gateway. A few examples are the NETGEAR CG814M Wireless Cable Modem Internet Gateway and the Linksys wcg200 Wireless-G Cable Gateway Cable Modem with Built-In Wireless-G Router. But i would talk with your isp and confirm which gateway would work best with their services.

Thanks dwit, I think you misunderstood my question.

What I am looking for is connected the Cable modem through its etherent port to the ethernet port of ADSL (Gateway) router, that means I am looking to use ADSL (Gateway) router as a switch.

http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/archive...outer_only.html

that might work for the Linksys (i don't know what internet provider you have)

I doubt you want to use the linksys or netgear as a switch only... most internet providers only allow one MAC address to access a particular connection at a given time (and many will refuse the connection if the MAC address on file does not match what is currently connected).