Change Windows 2003 serial

Hello!

Thus far I have been using a pirated version of Win2003 SP2 enterprise edition. So now finally our school admin has set up MSDNAA so I am now able to receive a student free of charge license for almost all of Microsofts products.

But when I tried to change the serial number in Win2k3 with the one I got through MSDN Academic Alliance, Windows 2003 said the serial is invalid. This is the guide I used for changing serials:

http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_serial_in_windows_xp.htm

I also called at MS support center and they said that this is impossible. But an in-place upgrade would change the serial. Unfortunately she couldn't be more specific about it because that would require a paid support and then she would redirect my phone call to england where they are experts. But she did say that I should check on web for this.

Is the in-place upgrade the same thing as a repair install and would thus erase all my drivers and such?

Edited by BigDaddy

Your pirated copy is OEM, likely, or VLK. MSDNAA/MSDN/etc are actually technically retail, and keys for OEM, VLK, and Retail don't work across each other (retail only works with retail keys, OEM only works with OEM keys, etc).

Well, while I understand that you need to continue running the OS, an in-place upgrade isn't foolproof and some applications may not work (they should, but one cannot assume they will). I'm going to close this down, as discussing warez software is against the forum rules, but you can look at a kb article that's pretty straight forward. You might want to consider making a VM out of the machine and doing a test upgrade in a VM before you do the real thing, though.

Topic closed.