IE session lock after closing a child window

Sfor

After oppening a link in another window through a SHIFT+click, then closing the child window, quite often the parrent window freezes for a while. In most cases the parrent window resumes in less than a minute.

I've observed this behavior on many computers with Windows 98 SE USP 2.1a and IE 6 SP1.

After oppening a link in another window through a SHIFT+click, then closing the child window, quite often the parrent window freezes for a while. In most cases the parrent window resumes in less than a minute. I've observed this behavior on many computers with Windows 98 SE USP 2.1a and IE 6 SP1.
I get something similar except that it's when I close the main window. But does not freeze up when closing a secondary window.

I'm using mdgX and Gape's Beta1

If you have broadband, I got considerable relief from this. I have installed most of the IE 6 SP1 updates from the mdgx site. One of the updates I believe added some connection settings to my advanced Internet tools menu. I used to be at 20 HTTP 1.0 and 10 HTTP 1.1 connections from a setting in TCP optimizer. I found a setting in my advanced Internet tools menu that increased it to 32 HTTP 1.0 and 16 HTTP 1.1 connections. This setting was not there before on of the mdgx updates. I think you could also make this change with the optimizer or another tweaking tool.

I also installed the DCOM update around the same time. I still have some lag in the system from parent windows that were left open, but it is way better than before when on some sites, the parent window would lock up almost immediately upon opening up a link from it. This only seems to happen on some sites.

My registry is already big enough, I do not want to increase it more by installing a firefox based browser in addition to IE.

I'm using polish language Windows and IE. So, I can not install every english language update, I'm afraid.

The effect I've described happens on certain sites, as well. But in my case the links are oppening without any delay. After closing a child IE window the parrent IE window becomes locked. But, other IE windows started separately are working correctly, in the same time.

My registry is already big enough, I do not want to increase it more by installing a firefox based browser in addition to IE.

That's Mozilla-based web browsers. And they barely write to the registry. Hell, you can use ZIP builds that don't write to the registry at all, if you want.

The effect I've described happens on certain sites, as well. But in my case the links are oppening without any delay. After closing a child IE window the parrent IE window becomes locked. But, other IE windows started separately are working correctly, in the same time.

Exactly, the parent locks up or freezes and takes a long time to reconnect to a new site. The child links open and close without any problem. I tried for months to remedy this and have posted on this and other NGs. Works much better now with either the DCOM or the increase in max connections. I am guessing that it may be the connection setting.

As far as the registry thing goes, I guess I just assumed that a lot of registry data would be written.