is it normal for a 2003 DC/GC to take 10 mins after a reboot to let me

ceez

Hello fellow msfn-ers!

I just a q regarding a DC 2003 server. Whenever it's rebooted and gets to the ctrl-alt-del screen it can take anywhere from 10-15 mins fro the domain to 'initialize'. By that I mean that I cant log in as admin to the domain because it says that the domain is not available (Even though the server is up at this time) and neither can any workstation.

is this a normal thing?

thanks,

ceez

:thumbup

Not really - however, it depends on how many group policies you have, how many DCs (and how many sites), and how "clean" your DNS configuration is (and potentially the location of your DNS servers and the layout of the zones on the DNS servers). More information is needed to determine what's happening - starting with ipconfig /all on the DCs, and a quick layout of sites and DNS zones, and potentially the number of group policies applying.

• 7 months later...

@cluberti....revisiting a 7 month old post which I failed to follow up on....

depends on how many group policies you have:

well we have the domain controller policy and the domain group policy, those are the only 2 that would apply directly to the domain controllers. I have some other gp's but are for workstation settings.

how many DCs (and how many sites):

we have our forest with 3 child domains.

forest= 3dc's. 1 holds the master roles, the 2nd holds the rest.

child1 = has 1 DC

child2 = has 2 DC's

child3 = has1 DC

they are DNS servers for their respective domains.

(all FSMO roles assigned per MS specs)

how "clean" your DNS configuration is (and potentially the location of your DNS servers and the layout of the zones on the DNS servers):

this one I dont know how to explain as "how clean", how can I check if it's not "dirty"? And the layout? what info would I need to show you? where can I find info to read up to see if my DNS is configured correctly.

ipconfig /all on the DCs:

they all have static IP's. The primary DNS IP on each server is it's own IP and the 2nd DNS IP is the address of the DC in the forest that holds the master roles.

So if:

ip: 10.201.20.1

then

dns1: 10.201.20.1

dns2: ipaddress of DC in forest that holds the schema/domain role.

Hope this info helps you out in helping me out! :)

thanks for reading!

ceez