Custom MS Gina

trb48

We are working on a custom MS Gina. It is mostly done, but I have a question. I would like to have a link on the login screen that will allow the user to open a specific web page (a web page that will allow the user to change their password). Is that possible?

:blink:

You want to open a web browser on the logon prompt??? Are you crazy???!?!!!

At the logon prompt, the account logged on is the system account. Any way that the user manages to compromise that browser means the whole system could be hosed. If it's IE then they could easily have access to everything - everything - on the whole entire system.

What is wrong with having them press Ctrl+Alt+Del and click change password?

:wacko:

We are working on a custom MS Gina. It is mostly done, but I have a question. I would like to have a link on the login screen that will allow the user to open a specific web page (a web page that will allow the user to change their password). Is that possible?

It's possible to open the page from the gina, yes. However, you have to remember that you'll be running under the user LocalSystem (SYSTEM), and not a user. The web site you publish MUST not have any user security on it (not even basic), or the machine will not be able to authenticate (you can't auth at the logon screen to another box). Meaning your solution will work, but it won't be very secure (you CAN try SSL, but I've seen that fail too, so don't be surprised if it has to be HTTP). It'll be clear-text, so you better trust your network ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look here:

create a “reset password” button on the login desktop

...here's how to create a “reset password” button on the login desktop, so that users whom forgot their password, and therefore cannot log in, are still able to acces the password-reset website. For the actual password resetting we use the “Self Service Password Reset” free software by Ben "Plexer" Norcutt and Alex "Irazmus" Kitching wich can be found here:

http://edugeek.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2022&page=8

this article only shows how to create a “reset password” button on the login desktop wich opens your password reset page once you set up “Self Service Password Reset”...

We already have a web page that the user can use to reset their password through. How hard is it to add a link on the Windows login (or the GINA) to open that web page. I looked through what you wrote, and it seems easy enough. Are there any step-by-step instructions out there on how to do this?

Edited by trb48