Unable to add disk resource to cluster

adamt

Hi all,

I've got a problem with a Win2000 Server cluster.

I'm trying to add a couple of disks to an existing cluster, but when I get as far as selecting which physical disk is to be clustered, the list is blank.

I can see the disks in the disk management mmc snap-in, and can assign a partition, a drive letter and format the disk. All appears OK, except for when I try to add them as cluster resources.

Partitions are Primary, formatted as NTFS and has not been made a dynamic disk.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Adam.

No, I haven't rebooted them. I didn't know you needed to.

Is there a kb article that says this? I've not been given a window to reboot, and been assured this would be 'non-service impacting'.

Thanks,

Adam.

and been assured this would be 'non-service impacting'.

Who assured you of this? I guess "technically" speaking it is if you reboot one node at a time since the failover will pickup the services. There may be a slight interruption in service while the services are being moved to the other node, but it certainly isn't that much of an inconvenience.

As it turns out, you may be able to add the physical disk without a reboot using the cluster.exe command-line utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555312

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Usually the list being blank means the disk doesn't have a signature, or the HKLM\CCS\Services\ClusDisk\Parameters\AvailableDisks registry is empty. If the disk does have a signature, and you're sure it's OK on both nodes, your best bet is to add it via the cluster.exe command line utility.