Sysprep, WinXP and WIM

TheReasonIFail

So, I'm trying not to use ghost to deploy my XP w/ SP2 images here at the office so I've been playing with WIM and IMAGEX.

I've successfully created my sysprep'd OS and created an image of it. When I deploy it, sysprep works great, but it's afterwards that things start getting funky.

I get alot of "weirdness", error messages, shortcuts not working, devices not being seen by the machine and plenty of other stuff.

I recreated the image on a seperate machine and even used a different Windows disc to install with. I also used the vds.reg file that I've seen in other topics as I do run diskpart before everything begins.

I'm going to do some research on IMAGEX and see what I can find.

But any and all help is appreciated!

I'll assume you're using NTFS, so the first place to start is NTFS permissions. Another thing to keep in mind is to maintain a "pure NTFS" environment when working with your WIM. Capture to an NTFS partition, only mount and unmount to NTFS partitions, and only deploy to NTFS partitions.

I doubt it's an issue with NTFS because reboots bring on different "problems". So I'll have issues with newdev.dll, reboot then have that work but then device manager won't load, reboot and then have other sets of problem.

I used ghost to capture an image of the same sysprep'd machine and didn't notice any problem. I don't know if diskpart is still doing something funky to the disk.

I personally have never run into a problem like this with any of the methods of imaging I have used.

I have seen similar problems but they were hardware related, memory or hard drive. Not saying this is your issue but this is my experience.