Installing Windows Patch

atari37

How easy will it be to install a Windows patch via AD to about 50 users? I just found out printing large files was causing blue screen of death on all workstation so I did a little research and and found out that it was a bug and Microsoft had a patch for it. I patched one of the workstations and it seems to be working fine now.

I will like to duplicate this on all workstations over the network, preferably via AD. Can someone walk me through the process?

if you have an AD set up and no patch solution in place you should setup WSUS you can run it from any windows 2003 PC on your LAN and all you would have to do is approve that patch to be installed some or all of your workstations, then add a GPO to configure automatic updates on those PCs and it does the rest. as of v3.0 it is super easy to setup.

icemans way addresses your problem directly im just making a suggestion to help you out in the future.

Yes, WSUS would definitely be a good idea, but I was under the impression he didn't have it and just wanted to pushvia AD only which would require either a startup script, or publishing it as an app but that is more work in my opinion.

Thanks guys...I went ahead and setup WSUS on my server and it seems to be doing its job. However, I'm having a little problem with the update the started this whole process.

Problem is that, the 1700+ updates downloaded to my WSUS server doesn't have the update I'm trying to install and I can't seem to figure out how to export that update from my local drive to WSUS's database. There's a feature called import update, which takes me to a Windows website but that website doesn't seem to have the update either.

Is it possible to move the update from the local drive to WSUS? It will be really cool if you can deploy software via WSUS, it looks like a very cool App. Anyone know of a good freeware that can deploy software via AD?

I guess if all fails then I will have to run a script to install the .exe file. Can someone recommend a script?

Edited by atari37

Thanks guys...I went ahead and setup WSUS on my server and it seems to be doing its job. However, I'm having a little problem with the update the started this whole process.

Problem is that, the 1700+ updates downloaded to my WSUS server doesn't have the update I'm trying to install and I can't seem to figure out how to export that update from my local drive to WSUS's database. There's a feature called import update, which takes me to a Windows website but that website doesn't seem to have the update either.

The update is a private, which WSUS will not have, and it is possible that the update you have will not be in the Windows Update catalog so you can't use the WSUS 3.0 import function (it requires it to be in the catalog). There's a way, documented on this MSDN article, that describes how to import a non-catalogued (i.e. private) update into WSUS, but it's not clear exactly how to do this.

What is the exact KB number of the hotfix you're trying to distribute, btw?

The update is a private, which WSUS will not have, and it is possible that the update you have will not be in the Windows Update catalog so you can't use the WSUS 3.0 import function (it requires it to be in the catalog). There's a way, documented on this MSDN article, that describes how to import a non-catalogued (i.e. private) update into WSUS, but it's not clear exactly how to do this.

What is the exact KB number of the hotfix you're trying to distribute, btw?

The KB number is: KB935843

WindowsXP-KB935843-x86-ENU.exe

The KB number is: KB935843

WindowsXP-KB935843-x86-ENU.exe

Ah yes, that update is indeed not in the Windows Update catalog, therefore you will not be able to push it from WSUS or import it. If you choose to push it to install via a logon script or SMS or some other distribution mechanism, you'll have to install the update manually as such:

WindowsXP-KB935843-x86-ENU.exe /quiet /norestart

Here's is one I used to use to update the MSI installer on machines via startup script.

Dim objWMIService, strOS, strOSCaption
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")
strOS = ""
Set OSSet = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")
' Caption value for different OS:
' Microsoft Windows 2000 ...
' Microsoft Windows XP ...
' Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, ..... Edition
' Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise
For Each OS in OSSet
strOSCaption = OS.Caption
Select Case True
Case InStr(1, strOSCaption, "windows 2000", vbTextCompare) > 0
strOS = "Windows 2000"
Case InStr(1, strOSCaption, "windows xp", vbTextCompare) > 0
strOS = "Windows XP"
Case InStr(1, strOSCaption, "windows(r) server 2003", vbTextCompare) > 0
strOS = "Windows Server 2003"
Case InStr(1, strOSCaption, "windows vista", vbTextCompare) > 0
strOS = "Windows Vista"
End Select
Next
if strOS = "Windows XP" then
'get version of exist a file being updated and check to see if update needs to be applied.
'no need to reinstall the update at each boot.
MSIFileSpec = WshShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%SystemRoot%") & "\System32\msi.dll"
If (fso.FileExists(MSIFileSpec)) Then
CurrentFileVersion = fso.GetFileVersion(MSIFileSpec)
End If
CurrentFileVersion = Replace(CurrentFileVersion, ".", "")
if CurrentFileVersion < 3140004003 then
CommandLine = DSSBinLocation & "WindowsXP-KB927891-v2-x86-ENU.exe /passive /nobackup /forceappsclose /warnrestart:4"
WshShell.Run CommandLine, 1, false
end if
end if
set OSSet = nothing
set objWMIService = nothing