Can I legaly distrubute a vilite'ed vista?

shaitan607

nope you can't sorry, i wouldnt be shocked if this topic was locked :)

Locked because it's a bad topic or locked because it's been gone over so many times?

I'm not trying to pirate anything here, the company I work for requires minimal installs and I'm just doing research into what we can do once XP is no longer sold and we have to start using vista.

Oh when you said distrubute i thought u meant over the internet (that would of been a big no no lol).

Anyways... vLite isnt for company use, says in vLite T&C's. Although to be be honest i would use it in my company if i had one but kept the removals to a minimum i.e langauges, drivers (integrating my own), windows search, security center, etc... :P If your unsure what to remove just ask :)

-Lego

Edited by LegoLiam™

Oh when you said distrubute i thought u meant over the internet (that would of been a big no no lol).

Anyways... vLite isnt for company use. Although to be be honest i would use it in my company if i had one but kept the removals to a minimum i.e langauges, drivers (integrating my own), windows search, security center, etc... :P If your unsure what to remove just ask :)

-Lego

Well, these would be going out to customers. Since the computers are highly specialized and only used for one purpose; removing everything but what we use is a high priority.

What my question really boils down to is that I don't quite understand the EULA for Windows and I am not sure if us including a slipstream DVD of a vista install (plus the original) is O.K.

Edited by shaitan607

Well, these would be going out to customers. Since the computers are highly specialized and only used for one purpose; removing everything but what we use is a high priority.

What my question really boils down to is that I don't quite understand the EULA for Windows and I am not sure if us including a slipstream DVD of a vista install (plus the original) is O.K.

Customers PC's?? sorry i dont think you can, if you find information saying otherwsie then please let me know preferably a qoute and references. I wouldn't directly asked microsoft as they dont like users using vlite, instead i would read the EULA to make sure you can/cant, your company could seriously be in trouble if you did distribute them when you wasnt suposed to.

Once Vista SP1 preintegrated disks start coming out, get a copy of that (legally ofcourse) and use that instead. Better safe than sorry. :)

-Lego

Edited by LegoLiam™

Customers PC's?? sorry i dont think you can, if you find information saying otherwsie then please let me know preferably a qoute and references. I wouldn't directly asked microsoft as they dont like users using vlite, instead i would read the EULA to make sure you can/cant, your company could seriously be in trouble if you did distribute them when you wasnt suposed to.

Once Vista SP1 preintegrated disks start coming out, get a copy of that (legally ofcourse) and use that instead. Better safe than sorry. :)

-Lego

Yeah, previously all we've done is create floppies to create auto-installs, but creating a simple DVD would be less of a hassle and cheaper.

What we would like to do is have a DVD with their license key already setup along with everything removed so performance won't be hindered.

I think I'll have to call up MS and see what they suggest for this situation.

If you mean selling the vlited disk then don't! lol but i think it would be safe to sell an official vista disk but have vlited as a FREE extra so the cutsomers still gets what they pay for and abit more.

If its just a repair job and return to customer i dont see a problem with using vlited disks as long as the customer has their own license and original official disk. :)

Again, vlite is not for company use, read the EULA first or ring microsoft but as i said they dont really recommend using vlite anyway and under no circumstances can you sell a vlited disk. You don't want to be doing anything illegal lol n if any other member has some info then please add :P

Edited by LegoLiam™

If you mean selling the vlited disk then don't! lol but i think it would be safe to sell an official vista disk but have vlited as a FREE extra so the cutsomers still gets what they pay for and abit more.

Oh, def not selling the vlited disk. We would still be selling the original license key and disk, but we would also include a seperate DVD with the slipstream install. We aren't trying to pass this off as our own install, nothing would be changed except for what would be removed.

If its just a repair job and return to customer i dont see a problem with using vlited disks as long as the customer has their own license and original official disk. :)

no, no repair jobs. This is straight from the factory to the customer. We deal in Military contracts and so we need to be able to adjust things on an individual basis.

Again, vlite is not for company use, read the EULA first or ring microsoft but as i said they dont really recommend using vlite anyway and under no circumstances can you sell a vlited disk. You don't want to be doing anything illegal lol n if any other member has some info then please add :P

Yeah, I've tried reading the EULA and all the legalize scared the crap out of me. I'll give it another shot and see what we can do about talking to IP lawyers to get other feedback then.

Oh, def not selling the vlited disk. We would still be selling the original license key and disk, but we would also include a seperate DVD with the slipstream install. We aren't trying to pass this off as our own install, nothing would be changed except for what would be removed.

Personally i see no problem then, select al the compatibility options to be safe :D .While my VMWare is finishing ill have a look at the EULA too n try abit of google :P

EDIT:

EULA

You may not

· work around any technical limitations in the software;

· reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that

applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;

· use components of the software to run applications not running on the software;

· make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law,

despite this limitation;

· publish the software for others to copy;

· rent, lease or lend the software; or

· use the software for commercial software hosting services.

Still looking

Also, it says by law you are allowed to make one backup copy.

Lol jsut ring microsoft and ask them :P but best to mention you will also supply the original vista disk too :P

Edited by LegoLiam™

Personally i see no problem then, select al the compatibility options to be safe :D .While my VMWare is finishing ill have a look at the EULA too n try abit of google :P

Excellent, thanks a lot for answering quickly too!

shaitan607, you can not distribute modified vLite installer, asking for the Vista itself is not even funny. MS can not allow distribution of Vista with their support or trademark which is not what they made after you customize it.

Strictly for your personal usage only.