No Flip 3d

Taliseian

Morning all,

I wanted to try out Flip 3d, but for some reason when I press Win + Tab nothing happens. When I press just Win, my start menu opens so I don't think its a keyboard issue (see system specs for reason).

Is there something I'm forgetting to do? I made sure that DWM is enabled and that Flip 3d is enabled in gpedit.

System Specs -- C2D 6300 (no OC), eVGA 7950GT 512mg PCI-E (no OC), Forceware 169.25 , Samsung 216BW, Logitech G15 (switch set to computer mode), Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1 - Aero is enabled

Thanks in advance....

T

Flip 3D only works with Aero (the 3d visual layer in Vista), which MS did not put in Vista Home Basic. I don't have Vista here, so I forget exactly where to check if it's set or available but an easy way to see is it's running is take your mouse and hover over the minimize/maximize/exit buttons on any window, do they glow (as in outside the box, not just light up like XP). If they do, Aero is running, otherwise no, it isn't.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Aero, it wastes a lot of power (because it means you're 3D card is running 24/7), ram and cpu. This is especially bad on laptops (maybe SP1 improves this) but I disable it on my laptop. It makes a boost in 3d gaming performance to disable this, especially in 3d games that run in a window instead of fullscreen.

And the next thing I'd say to disable is that Widget Sidebar thingy, especially since it's just fancy wallpaper that you don't even see 99% of the time. It wastes easily 100mb,200mb or more depending on how many and what widgets you install.

Between those two things I put 90% of the blame for why people dislike Vista as they are the majority of the bloat: ram and cpu waste. And removing them doesn't negatively affect Windows at all. I do think they are both useful things, but until everybody has dual cores, highly optimized video cards (which don't exactly exist yet) and 4gb of ram, they're just wasteful features for most users.

Edited by TravisO

Flip 3D only works with Aero (the 3d visual layer in Vista), which MS did not put in Vista Home Basic. I don't have Vista here, so I forget exactly where to check if it's set or available but an easy way to see is it's running is take your mouse and hover over the minimize/maximize/exit buttons on any window, do they glow (as in outside the box, not just light up like XP). If they do, Aero is running, otherwise no, it isn't.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Aero, it wastes a lot of power (because it means you're 3D card is running 24/7), ram and cpu. This is especially bad on laptops (maybe SP1 improves this) but I disable it on my laptop. It makes a boost in 3d gaming performance to disable this, especially in 3d games that run in a window instead of fullscreen.

And the next thing I'd say to disable is that Widget Sidebar thingy, especially since it's just fancy wallpaper that you don't even see 99% of the time. It wastes easily 100mb,200mb or more depending on how many and what widgets you install.

Between those two things I put 90% of the blame for why people dislike Vista as they are the majority of the bloat: ram and cpu waste. And removing them doesn't negatively affect Windows at all. I do think they are both useful things, but until everybody has dual cores, highly optimized video cards (which don't exactly exist yet) and 4gb of ram, they're just wasteful features for most users.

Aero/flip3d does not 'waste power' you can apply that 'go green' nonsense everywhere else but keep it off my desktop. its not like the videocard turns off the instant you disable Aero. By that logic, we should all be running vista in monochrome to save power! Sidebar doesnt use HUNDREDS of megs of ram so thats another lie. i have 8 widgets in my sidebar right now and its sitting at 7,888k and this system has been up for 18 days so don't try to give any sob story about how sidebar itself leaks memory. if it leaks its because of junk widgets youve loaded not because its bloated by nature. the OP asked the community for help ENABLING an feature and you instead give him your own faulty opinion on why he doesnt have it (you guessed that he has Vista Basic) when if you had actually read the OP then you might have seen that hes is running vista ULTIMATE SP1 and that Aero has been enabled. I am tired of seeing people bash Vista who obviously don't have any idea what they are talking about. take that kinda blind MS trash talking to slashdot -youll fit right in.

as for your problem Taliseian, you say Aero is on but Flip3d doesnt work. If aero is working fine, you might find some helpful info on this site

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

basically it points you at this regkey and tells you how to stop/start servies to refresh

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

DisallowFlip3d=0