Upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro

Whitewater

Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade my Compaq Presario SR1350NX from XP HOme to XP Pro. XP Home SP2 is installed. I have XP Pro original release (no service packs) on CD.

My question is about slipstreaming the drivers. If I'm only going to upgrade, do the drivers need to be slipstreamed into the XP Pro install files, or will the upgrade process use the existing drivers?

I would do a clean install, but have found that some of the driver installation files are problematic. The sound driver installer reports back that there's not enough room on the C:\ drive to install the driver. (200Gb disc, so there's plenty of room)

Thanks

Dave :hello:

I'm not sure about using the upgrade feature and slipstreaming. I have a couple XP pro upgrade CD's(with SP2), thats what run but I only do fresh installs(which by the way requires another original Microsoft original CD of some sort if you delete the current partitions, which I didnt know at 1st and finally found a windows 95 CD from a friend).

My 1st question to you is why do you want to upgrade? Not many things are worth going to pro from home, only for certain machines(I dont recall the exact benefits but for normal usage xp home is just fine).

If your doing an upgrade on a running machine I see no reason that the install would remove your current drivers, I did it once before I knew what I was doing and it doesnt touch the drivers just the OS files.

Did you try a clean installl and have probs with the sound drivers(assuming), otherwise how would you know about the issue?

Edited by SpeedEuphoria

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the replies!

I need to upgrade to XP Pro for IIS 5.1. I'm learning some ASP.NET 2.0 programming. The Apache Web Server used to have an ASP.NET module, but it's no longer being released or supported.

I have tried a clean install using a slipstreamed version of XP pro, slipstreamed with SP2 and the drivers for this computer. I ran into problems with the sound drivers. (Intel High Def/Realtek AL880) I tried everything and couldn't get them to install. I would upgrade to Vista, but the Vista Upgrade Advisor says my graphics card isn't good enough to run Vista. (Intel Integrated 910)

I'm not sure what to do.

Dave

I'm not sure about using the upgrade feature and slipstreaming. I have a couple XP pro upgrade CD's(with SP2), thats what run but I only do fresh installs(which by the way requires another original Microsoft original CD of some sort if you delete the current partitions, which I didnt know at 1st and finally found a windows 95 CD from a friend).

My 1st question to you is why do you want to upgrade? Not many things are worth going to pro from home, only for certain machines(I dont recall the exact benefits but for normal usage xp home is just fine).

If your doing an upgrade on a running machine I see no reason that the install would remove your current drivers, I did it once before I knew what I was doing and it doesnt touch the drivers just the OS files.

Did you try a clean installl and have probs with the sound drivers(assuming), otherwise how would you know about the issue?

well the slipstream may not like the drivers. If you just slipstream sp2 and the updates while your at it, then install the drivers afterward it may work better. i believe in a clean fresh install instead of going over an existing one. Actually I dont pretend to know much but I believe I've come accross a couple people that have had probs installing realtek drivers but I dont know exactly which ones/platform they were

Edited by SpeedEuphoria

I was thinking about waiting for Service Pack 3 to come out.. then try slipstreaming it to see what happens. I really don't want to do a clean install. There are apps that come with this computer that I use that aren't available if I do a clean install.

I may have to build a pc. This is the first OEM Machine I've owned. It very stable and reliable, but not flexible enough when it comes to upgrading it. I can't upgrade the video. There is no AGP or PCIex slots... just the onboard graphics.

Dave

well the slipstream may not like the drivers. If you just slipstream sp2 and the updates while your at it, then install the drivers afterward it may work better. i believe in a clean fresh install instead of going over an existing one. Actually I dont pretend to know much but I believe I've come accross a couple people that have had probs installing realtek drivers but I dont know exactly which ones/platform they were

I was thinking about waiting for Service Pack 3 to come out.. then try slipstreaming it to see what happens. I really don't want to do a clean install. There are apps that come with this computer that I use that aren't available if I do a clean install.

I may have to build a pc. This is the first OEM Machine I've owned. It very stable and reliable, but not flexible enough when it comes to upgrading it. I can't upgrade the video. There is no AGP or PCIex slots... just the onboard graphics.

Dave

Realttek High definition Audio require Microsoft High def audi patch KB 888111 did you applied that update without this update window will not recognize your hardware

I didn't realize there was an update required. I did a search for that specific KB item and sent a request to Microsoft for the update. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Thank

Davd

Realttek High definition Audio require Microsoft High def audi patch KB 888111 did you applied that update without this update window will not recognize your hardware