Instant messaging on domain

aspenjim

I support a clinic that has 2 desktops, 4 notebooks and a server2003R2. They have a terminal server installed in which the laptops connect wirelessly for security. I noticed the clinic administrator installed yahoo messenger on all of the PC's and laptops to do instant messaging (clinic related). I showed them how to use the task manager users tab for messaging, which is a perfect solution to their IM clinic needs. However that tab isn't available on all of the desktops. I've searched through GP looking for an option to enable the "users" tabs so the desktop users could also IM. BTW.... this is a domain and all notebooks and desktops are a member.

Would someone kindly tell me how to enable messaging on the desktops (or the "users tab" in task manager)?

TIA

Jim

Edited by aspenjim

The Users tab only appears when fast user switching is turned ON, which it cannot be* in a domain. However, if the messenger service is enabled, you can send messages by running this command:

NET SEND /domain:domainname /users:usernames "your message"

You can also just specify the comptuername of a computer on the same domain as you and leave out the users and domain parameters. E.g:

NET SEND computername "Hi!"

Messenger service must be enabled for this to work. Services.msc > messenger service > automatic. Messenger service can have issues, so this may or may not be optimal.

* Well you can in a hacky sort of way by enabling multiple terminal services sessions, but that can make computers on a domain confused. Multiple TS sessions are allowed on windows server 2003 by default, which is why it shows up there.

okay, thanks for the answer. I thought it was a setting I was missing. From the server and the notebooks using terminal services, I could see the users tab. Those are the users that need to message each other anyway.

Thanks again