w2k Server - RIS half installed by default ?

7yler

I found a problem when using HFSLIP above 1.50 on Windows 2000 Server and Adv Server. This does not occur on w2k Pro as it does not have RIS.

If you run HFSLIP without (or with) patches - install windows - then go to Add/Remove Programs - Add/Remove Components, your asked to Configure RIS (as shown in attachment).

I noticed this the first time when i forgot to add [Networking] InstallDefaultComponents=Yes to WINNT.SIF, which causes Add/Remove Components - Configure RIS, to run on first logon.

I've gone back to 1.5.0 and the problem does not occur. I've tryed 8 versions from 1.6.1 up to 1.7.3 and the Configure RIS Services occurs.

I've tested many time as I thought I was doing something wrong, but it appears its something to do with the HFSLIP script as this occurs if you run HFSLIP with HF and the other folder empty.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

7yler

post-177630-1203329064_thumb.jpg

I noticed that myself when I tested 2000 Advanced Server a little while ago, but didn't pay much attention to it because I'm not too familiar with the Server editions (it could've been intentional seeing what "extras" MS are putting in with Service Packs for Server 2003). If I remember well, I also got a pop-up message asking to configure RIS after logging on.

The first thing that comes to mind is that this behavior is caused by one of the newer hotfixes, which wasn't supported properly by HFSLIP 1.5.0 yet. Since I don't know which files make up RIS, this could take a while to figure out (if that's even the problem). But the hotfixes intended for 2K Server are the most likely candidates.

Thanks for the reply Tomcat,

I'm not sure that is a Hotfix as it happens when no Hotfixes are in HF.

I've included a LOG file, I forgot to remove a couple of MSI's and TZ4, but the RIS problem occued when running 1.7.3.

Cheers

7yler

PS. Thanks for the great work, HFSLIP has save me heaps of time

===============================================================================

Host OS - Windows XP

HFSLIP Version - 1.7.3 build 71226

HFSLIP Path - D:\ISOBuilds\w2000s\hfslip\

OS in SOURCESS - Windows 2000 Server SP4 English

Drivers - DRIVER.CAB Updated

CD Install Path - SETUP\2000\Srv\

CDTAG - CDROM_NT.5

Files in your HF folder:

Files in your HFCABS folder:

Files in your HFGUIRUNONCE folder:

UPHClean-Setup.msi

Files in your HFSVCPACK folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder:

MSRDPCLI.MSI

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW2 folder:

Files in your HFTOOLS folder:

7za.exe

cmdow.exe

cmdow.zip

cWnd.exe

cWnd10.7z

HFSLIP_PRE_TZ4.CAB

HFSLIP_PRE_TZ4.CMD

modifyPE.exe

qfecheck.exe

reg.exe

Files in your HFEXPERT folder:

D:\ISOBuilds\w2000s\hfslip\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\reg.exe

D:\ISOBuilds\w2000s\hfslip\HFEXPERT\WIN\SYSTEM32\shutdown.exe

Files in your REPLACE folder:

HFSLIP run time: 5m31s

I did some comparisons and found out that HFSLIP (no matter how minimal the setup) enables installation of Remote Installation Services. Now I need to figure out why it does that.

In the mean time, you can get around this by unchecking "Remote Installation Services" in the list of optional components that you're presented with during Windows setup (it normally is unchecked).

I found it. For some reason, I let HFSLIP add this line into HFSLPHIV.INF:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OC Manager\Subcomponents","reminst",0x10001,1

This enables installation of RIS.

I suppose I mistakenly saw it for a new registry entry even though the only public hotfix that contains it (KB926121) only checks for its presence (to see if RIS is installed or not).

This could explain why Windows Update wants to install KB926121 on Windows 2000 Professional, which doesn't come with RIS at all.

I need to see what the best solution is because KB926121 does add a registry value.

Perfect ... Problem fixed.

I did a full patch build of both 2000 Server and 2000 Pro, and they worked fine, with no RIS.

Thanks for the quick fix, appreciate the hard work and effort you put into HFSLIP.

Cheers