Regarding reducing 'size' of sp3

eddie11013

Just wondering. When I first started using nlite, it was mentioned that you only needed to use “xpsp2.exe” from Service Pack 2 in the slipstreaming process. The latest build for sp3, 3300, is some 315MB’s. I have successfully integrated this without any problems whatsoever. But, like sp2 before it, is there a smaller “part” that I should or could use. I did extract it, but there are a “lot” of ‘.exe’s’. Maybe, the answer won’t come until the ‘final’ release. By the way I slipstreamed into a windows xp pro with sp1 included. Since I'm using DVD's now, its not so much reducing size as maybe speeding up the process a little. Of course I would rather be safe than sorry, if you know what I mean.

Just wondering,

Thanks for any suggestions,

Eddie

It sounds like you were trimming SP2 somehow?

SP3 is bigger because it has more components, they are being added into the future version of nLite.

If you extract it then select i386\update.exe for integration...but don't think that you don't need other files, they are used during integration, as in sp2.

Thanks for replying, Nuhi. When I first did the slipstreaming thing, I did a Google search on how to do it. The first one that popped up was this site: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp In step 2 it states “Get XP SP2 and extract it”. It’s the one that says to use the “XPSP2.EXE” from your sp2 CD, which I had. By the way, on review, I notice when you load the sp2 CD, its label is: VRMSP_EN, total size 475MB, within are such things as, that we now know we can safely remove, Dotnet, Support, ValueAdd, etc., and of course, it contains the “xpsp2.exe“, coming in at 266MB’s. When I first found and started using “your” nlite program, great program by the way, I continued to “only” use this same xpsp2.exe from my sp2 disk, and it worked great. Thus my inquiry about the possible use of a smaller portion of this new sp3.

As previously stated, my thinking was that if you are slipstreaming a smaller ’exe’ than that part of the process will be just a little bit faster. Usually, when I make a new DVD, I like to start with a fresh copy of everything, as I have noticed here before that sometimes things don’t go well if you put modifications on top of other modifications. That said, the xpsp2.exe is 266MB’s. On the current version of sp3, when extracted, there isn’t any ‘single’ exe approaching that size. Therefore, I have to assume that you just can’t pick and choose as you stated. At least not ‘today’. LOL. Anyway, “I’m” not smart enough to do that ‘sort of thing’. I leave that to all the pro’s on this forum. I’m still trying to figure out how to install Zone Alarm Free, silently and unattended. LOL.

Thanks again for replying, and thanks again for the great program,

Eddie