Vista OEM Activation

hit07

hello guys

just a quick one

i have been looking around on the net for Vista Ultimate OEM 32bit for a new pc

i have be told if i buy a OEM ver i will not be able to activate it and would need to buy a retail ver

is this ture ?

you can activate an OEM version in just the same way as a retail version

you can activate it as many times as you want, but it must be on basically the same hardware

that's why OEM version is cheaper, it will work on that one computer, but it will not activate on different hardware

if you swap too much hardware your OEM version may not activate again, as it is considered a new computer

calling microsoft for activation may help, but in theory you are screwed

OEM versions are great if you plan to install them on notebooks, because you can't change the hardware too much

they are not so great for a desktop PC that you upgrade frequently, because sooner or later the hardware hash will fail

NOTE: we are talking about an OEM version of Vista that you "buy" and which comes with a product key. the OEM versions that are distributed by Dell/HP/... are an entirely different thing. These won't activate on non Dell/HP/... hardware, with or without the matching product key, but then again, you didn't "buy" these.

NOTE: there is no difference between a retail and an OEM disc, only the product key is different. the installation is the same, but OEM licenses are essentially locked to the hardware you activate it on the first time.

Edited by jdeboeck

OEM differs from Retail in 2 ways:

- it is tied to the mainboard, so a mainboard replacement means a new license (unless replacing like-for-like due to hardware failure)

- you are not entitled to technical support from Microsoft, the OEM (you, in this case) provides this

You can activate as often as you like on the same hardware, but eventually you'll hit a threshold and automatic activation will fail and require you to go through the phone method.

The "phone to activate" scenario also applies if too many hardware components are changed, or reported differently by the BIOS in some cases.

The Retail version permits you to transfer your license to a new system if you upgrade, so depending on the frequency that you do this, and whether you are able to provide yourself technical support, it may work out cheaper to buy OEM.