DVD/CD-ROM Drive only recognized if drive is open

jhoff

If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful...

My laptop (Vista, Compaq Presario V6000) only recognizes that I have a DVD/CD-ROM drive if the drive door is open. However, if the door is shut, the drive immediately "dissapears".

When I boot up the laptop, the DVD/CD-ROM driver light blinks and makes a soft beep noise. The COMPAQ screen comes up but the system will continually restart unless I press the button to open the driver door, at which point Vista will load.

Why might this be happening? I tried the registry edits suggested on the microsoft website (involving the upper/lower filters) but I had only lower filters and nothing happened. I'm frustrated because I just bought this laptop a few months ago, and have no TV, so I really rely on it to watch DVDs.

It seems like it may be a physical problem.. however I have NO idea how to even open up a laptop, much less what to look for, so if anyone can guide me that would be great.

Can anyone help?? Please?

Thank you!

Yea dude, if the drive is screwing with your computer booting up, you can forget about doing stuff in Vista to make it work. Sorry I haven't encountered this behaviour myself. It is possible that the connection to the CD Drive is loose inside the computer. That's the only thing I can think of or the drive might be bad.

Is this the kind of drive that you can take it out by pressing a button or is it built in?

Check your warranty or call tech support and ask if its okay to open it up and make sure its connected ok.

If you should still have a support contract with it then calling tech support is way better when you can do it for free.