COM+ Event System Error #4106

Chozo4

I was going through my PC during regular cleanup recently and happen to have come across an Event Log containing multiple errors of the same code type. Seems to be the exact address area's and menu descriptors.

Log found under C:\WINDOWS\ESLogs\EventSystem.html

Error 2/2/2008 21:16:46.230 Event System 4106 

The COM+ Event System raised an unexpected access violation at address 0x71713625, attempting to access address 0xFFFFFFFF. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.
ES!DllGetClassObject+0x2291
ES!DllGetClassObject+0xb3
OLE32!OleSetMenuDescriptor+0x66b
OLE32!OleRegGetMiscStatus+0xb7e
OLE32!OleSetMenuDescriptor+0x1ba
OLE32!OleSetMenuDescriptor+0xab
OLE32!CoCreateInstanceEx+0x196
OLE32!CoCreateInstance+0x97
OLE32!CoCreateInstance+0x6a
SENS+0x57d1
SENS+0x4f81
SHLWAPI!Ordinal124+0x1e4
SHLWAPI!Ordinal124+0x134
KERNEL32!VirtualQueryEx+0x174c
KERNEL32!VirtualQueryEx+0x1649

Two of them always occur on system startup. Others happen during the crashes of other programs such as:

php.exe

make.exe

When these programs crash for instance it's usually random when it happens (sometimes not happening at all). There is the usual system sound associated with it. However, there is no 'illegal operation' system error that comes up. It's almost a silent crash (so seems to be the nature of the Event System). Often the programs hang in the background afterward untill manually killed. Usually also leaving 'winoldap' left running till manually killed as well.

According to a lookup regarding this error code microsoft states there is a patch for it but it's related to windows 2000-SP4 and is caused by racing conditions in the COM+ system. As stated in the following microsoft Knowledge Base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829180

What I'm trying to get at is:

Is there any fix or workaround for this that could work for Windows98se at all?

Perhaps any of the win2k hotfix files for this would work?

Are there any others that have been experiencing this?

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4ghz

Ram: 512mb DDR

HDrive: 4gb Flash

Chipset: Intel 825/855 GM/GME

Installed Packs:

Tihiy's Revolutions Pack v7.11

MDGx's UnOfficial Service Pack v3.0A2

Maximum Decim's Native USB v3.3

KernelEx v0.3.2a

Edited by Chozo4

I'm not having the problem but I wonder if you have the folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\dcom98? If not, you might look at the DCOM site. On 98 speaking in general, installing IE 5 also installs DCOM95 by default and I've not seen much of a real difference between DCOM95 and DCOM98 before this but from the given site one can download 1.3 version of the DCOM98 installer. That's the one that gave me my dcom98 folder.

The problem seems to be with version 1.0 of DCOM and I have to wonder if version 1.3 DCOM98 would then be fixed?

I don't have an ESLogs folder so of course there is nothing in there..?

Thanks shade, However, I already had those version it seems after comparing files. I jumped the gun as to trying to guess what was causing it.

Found out the main reason for the EventSystem errors. I started deleting the eventsystem logs and used my laptop like normal. Then compared what I was doing when the log showed up with fresh errors.

.. comes out it was my laptops power saver utility (Toshiba Power Saver) causing it everytime it switched power modes. I have a loose fitting adaptor in the back which causes it to jump between power modes at times.

Now if only I could figure out how to have the event system write it's logs onto my ram drive rather than in C:\windows\eslogs...

As for other programs silently crashing in the background without an illegal op notice, I don't know exactly what's causing that. I suspect RP might be causing it and will try to reproduce once I get my main desktop here.