Game Explorer Bug

MFCK

Hi all !

I've made another Vlited install with Vista SP1 Refresh 2, removing habitual things.

Removed :

;# Games #

Game Explorer

Premium Inbox Games

And i can see that games dont work again on my Vista x64 (like in the past when there was the "game explorer" removal bug).

Can someone confirm the problem or maybe its a bug with SP1 Refresh 2 only.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by MFCK

I still don't agree that Game Explorer removal ever caused games not to run. I always removed it and also other users who replied in that thread saying that it's not related to game explorer.

If anything it could be SP1, also don't disable services by hand after the install or any tweaking outside vLite until resolved.

You removed Component Cache (winsxs)...nasty, keep that as well for now.

Try to enable Defender, maybe even if it's disabled it's blocking until allowed or something like that, experiment. Try to make 2 identical installs, one with Game Explorer and one without. Freshly install, don't do anything else, and test your game.

Having the same issue here with Vista64 Ultimate, its not the game explorer here, one of the images i made without it is still able to run the games. Going to try to narrow it down to the component that breaks it. Too bad the event log doesn't show any error, starting the game in a shell also doesn't give any clues:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Chess>Chess.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Chess>

Is there a way to debug this and/or get some info to why it is not starting?

Edit: Forgot to mention I'm not using SP1, just plain vanilla Vista64 Ultimate with all hotfixes intergrated from the latest Fox's pack.

Edited by blerk

MFCK, I was expecting that result but now you should remove it and test again. I believe that only fresh reinstall solved your issue.

Don't forget that for majority of users, lets say almost all, game explorer is not needed to run games.

There is a possibility that there is something else you do or install later on that disables the games.

Hi Nuhi !

I dont know what soft i have installed that make games not working.

I disabled few services like "Windows defender, Security Center, Offline Files, Windows Updates, Windows Search).

But i must say that i love to use every time the vLite option you made "Remove Winsxs". Maybe removing winsxs make conflict with my config at this point.

I must identify the culprit after doing some test again ! But for now i wait the final version of Vista SP1 !

Thanks for your response !

Edited by MFCK