corrrupt/missing file

nunnik6

Ok, new to the site, so bare with me.... I have seen this subject out there, but I am having trouble. I have gotten a Windows XP Pro disk and I ran recovery with it. Hit r for repair, did not ask for a password, but immediately went to the command page. I then typed in...

expand g(my CDROM drive):\i386\vgaoem.fo_c:\windows\system . I then got a "The path or file specified is not valid".

I have tried a lot of different things to get this fixed, but now I am running into the statement in the command "access is denied". I got this by getting from c: to g:\i386 (my CDROM drive) and then I type expand g:\i386, etc, etc.

Is there a place for a password so I can take care of this problem? or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

When using the repair option you don't have rights to write to your Windows folder if I'm not mistaken. You would need to add a few registry keys first which enable you to use the... ehm, I believe it was the SET command... and then boot to the repair option, make your Windows folder writable and then it should work... But as you might have guessed by my reply, I have never used the repair function myself, instead I prefer to boot from a live CD and restore the file that way. I hope however that my reply will give you a hint in what direction to look.

Ill tell you what I did.... I started the computer witht he XP CD in the drive.... it started through the CD. It went through it's downloads and the computer brought me to a light blue screen that either asked me if I wanted to download XP, repair/recover, or exit. I pressed "R" and it immediately brought me to a screen the said recovery/repair with a command prompt.

I researched on the Internet and found a solution on Microsoft. It told me to type in "expand G(my CDROM drive):\i386\vgaoem.fo_c:\windows\system". I typed this in and it told me that the drive could not be found.

Ive tried a few different things. I tried the above line with C:/, but when I try it with G:/, it says "access is denied"

Am I doing something wrong? Please let me know!

Ok, how do you boot from a live CD and repair the file that way?

Extract the file on a different machine and place it on a USB stick for example. Download a live distro such as Knoppix and replace the file.

In recovery console if you COPY a file it automatically expands it

I *think* copy and expand are the same command, internally. Once I tried something like

expand D:\i386\*.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers

and I got an errormessage: 'Copy does not support wildcards'.

Edited by Mijzelf