Cant boot to XP or reinstall on a DELL Precision 670

ceez

I need some help guys...

one of our 'techsavvy' users installed some application and his computer BSOD after her rebooted. It gets the XP boot splash and 4 seconds later it BSOD.

The workstation has 2 sata 250gig drives in a RAID1 configuration. I am able to pull out one of the drives and use a SATA to USB adapter to get the data out. Now what I want to try is a repair of windows or a reinstall. Unfortunately it's not letting me....

Boot with the XP CD, press "R" to get to the console, then when I press the #1 to get into the C:\Windows it just freezes....press 1 then press ENTER and just hangs there.

I said, fine....lets reinstall.....Instead of "R" I continue to get to the part where you install XP, unfortunately right after the EULA where it says something like "...finding previosly installed versions..." it freezes right there.

so i cant repair or reinstalled. We've ran many diagnostics on the drive with DFT and the one that is built into the workstation as well as a dell diag cd which tests everything on the system and it all passes.

how can i get around this?!?!? any thoughts?

very confusing

thanks,

ceez

Just a suggestion...have you checked the BIOS settings to ensure the "techsavvy" user didn't change some hard drive setting in the BIOS?

Sounds an awful lot like what happens when you try to enable AHCI in the BIOS without first installing the proper drivers / registry entries. If the Windows splash screen shows up for a few seconds, I'd assume the Windows install itself may still be OK.