Have Admin Privs but told not available . . .

NativeTexan

Have installed some newer software on my system like Comodo FireWall Pro with Verification Tool and some others. These have not caused any problems.

Have purchased a copy of Quicken 2007, not from Intuit, and the install gives an Exit Code 1625 that means I do not have proper privileges for installing that software. Also there is a box that keeps popping up titled 'Windows Installer' saying 'Preparing to install' and then it goes away. This may occur several times in a half hour then may not happen again for an hour or two or not at all. When rebooting or starting up for the first time it will show again off and on.

Anyone have an idea as to where I might look to stop this 'Windows Installer'? I feel this is where my main problem is located for not being able to install Quicken. Have gone to Intuit for some HELP and because it was not purchased from them they will not give any assistance.

Thank you for reading my PosterProblem,

Edited by NativeTexan

https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicke...hp?p_faqid=2309

that goes through some general 'check to see if your an admin' junk but does link to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q227181

which details the registry keys that can cause this type of behavior. Im assuming this is XP Home because your profile says so -if its XP pro, then a group policy could be affecting the same settings so the fix might be different if you are running XP pro.

https://quicken.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/quicke...hp?p_faqid=2309

that goes through some general 'check to see if your an admin' junk but does link to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q227181

which details the registry keys that can cause this type of behavior. Im assuming this is XP Home because your profile says so -if its XP pro, then a group policy could be affecting the same settings so the fix might be different if you are running XP pro.

"Geek" or very knowledgeable person, (BAG)

Thank you for this info, actually the "Exit Code 1625" is what was given and they sent me to, possibly, the same link or very close to that one. You are also correct in H/E not PRO, I attempt to keep my sig up to date. Will check them out ASAP or maybe tomorrow have had other projects that have come up demanding some of my time. That is the story of my life, when I get some HELP with one item I am working on there will be one, two, or many more that come up simultaneously and all demanding more of my time. That never happens to any other, yea rite!!!

Again thank you for this reply and HELP!!!

Mr. Geek,

Have checked into those links and so far NOT very much HELP. The one to Quicken I have been to before and those instructions do not solve my problem. The one to Microsoft has much info about the Policies and some good explanations as to what all entries mean, none of that seems to be on my system in the Registry. Have checked the Permissions to many of the areas that info is placed and my Access Name did not have Full Control, I made the changes to that and still will not load. Still have this information box popping up titled "Windows Installer" with "Preparing to install . ." then it goes away, still, with nothing taking place. Cannot find what is triggering that action.

I do wish to Thank YOU very much for that information as I have learned much about where things are stored and kept in the registry along with where to find if my access has permission for Full Control in different areas.

Bottom line is it still is not working for me, anyone else with an idea are very welcome to post here,

Just as some added information on my problem, after attempting to install the Quicken program I have gone in and used a tool they have provided with the install called MSIZap.exe which runs in DOS and is supposed to remove any leftover parts of the install program, NOT, it still pops up that NAG window and then disappears without doing a D___ thing, excuse me getting to be a bit frustrating. Also have run another of their little clean up programs titled QCleanUi.exe and that still has not solved the problem of the NAG window for the Installer.

Geek,

Thanks to your information about Microsoft's site with the info on the Registry file format I am becoming more DANGEROUS to my self and I like that part. If I can just remember to NOT do any of that area unless NEEDED!!

NEW question concerning this problem, how might I create a NEW key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ ? I have the Installer key as Missing-in-no-action and need to place one along with App Management and System.

So far all attempts at creating an action in the Right Pane and I need this in the Left one.

Thank you for reading my desperate Poster,

EDited by NativeTexan >> Excuse me, the DUMMY has done a NEW thingy and read some information found on the MicroSoft website that explains this procedure and have done just what I had requested.

Unknowingly they provided the info I was needing on this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302089/en-us

by scrolling down to these instructions:

Windows Messenger 4.5 or later versions on a Windows XP Home Edition-based computer or on a Windows XP Professional-based computer

reading the third line of those instructions:

3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key. Type Messenger for the name of the new registry key, and then press ENTER.

Vola!! I am now the DUMMY's Dummy . . .

Edited by NativeTexan

Game OVER, have cleared my problem, I now have 'Quicken 2007 Deluxe' installed and working for me. I cannot say what exactly cleared this problem, but; after attempting to install and having all of these difficulties and using CC (CCLeaner), CleanSweep, Defrag several times, even Norton System Works also several times and hand massaging the Registry File, not once, twice, nor three or four times, many, many times before learning there are several different entries by that software. Intuit, Quicken 2007, Palo Alto Software, are just a few. Plus doing some searches in Explorer for those same three names mentioned before.

Then finding there was a very important KEY missing from the registry titled "Installer" as mentioned in an earlier message. Learning how to create those thingys, the KEY and DATA required, Checking the permissions for my access, even though it has Administrator privileges, was not allowed to install that software. Some of those multiple searches to clear the registry and Explorer may have been caused by my reattempts to install between clears. The Microsoft info makes reference that the Installer KEY is supposed to be in the HK_L_M and it should be HK_C_U for WinXP H/E v5.1 SP-2, because; it was placed under the Local_Machine and did not work so moved to Current_User, DUMMY, DUMMY, Dummy, forgot to remove it from the Local_Machine and it still did not work. After re-investigating found that ERROR on my part and removed it, OH! one other point- after doing everythingy to the Registry File you need to reboot, at least that is what finally made thingys work correctly for me.

WHEW!!! Thanks for all of the HELP and teaching this DUMMY and I will wear that handle for some time, YET!!

Thank you one and all,