Windows Updates still shows 5 remaining...

:thumbup Well, my Unattended setup is working pretty well now, but there's just a few more kinks to work out. I'm sure one of you experts can be my hero on this.

Background: I used nLite to slipstream SP2, but I've been using WINNT.SIF and SVCPACK.INF to accomplish the rest. I have WMP11 and IE7 working now. Also, I followed part of this thread to get .NET 2.0 to do a silent install that works. (I don't think I need .NET 3.0 yet)

I think all that's left now is to get the last few updates working. When I go to Windows Update I still have these 5 left:

KB110806 - .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1

KB942763 - for WinXP Daylight Savings Time changes

KB942615 - IE7 Cumulative Security

KB938127 - IE7 Security

KB905474 - WGA

The two I'm most concerned about are the IE7 updates, because they seem to be hanging up my "unattended" setup. That's what I really want to focus on getting working right now. The others don't really matter, but I'm confused why the Daylight Savings Time update isn't installing since it's listed on the sticky hotfix post along with its switches. Any help with how to get these stragglers to install successfully would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my SVCPACK.INF

;Windows XP
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
wmp11.exe /Q
DNF20.exe
IE7.exe /passive /update-no /nobackup /norestart
UPHClean.msi
KB873339.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB885836.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB886185.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB887472.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB888302.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB890830.exe /Q
KB890859.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB891781.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB893756.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB893803.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB896344.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB896358.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB896423.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB896428.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB898461.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB899587.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB899591.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB900485.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB900725.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB901017.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB901190.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB901214.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB904942.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB905414.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB905749.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB908519.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB908531.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB910437.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB911280.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB911562.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB911564.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB911927.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB912817.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB913580.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB914388.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB914389.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB914440.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB916595.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB917537.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB918118.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB918439.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB919007.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB920213.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB920670.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB920683.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB920685.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB920872.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB921503.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB922582.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB922819.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB923191.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB923414.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB923689.EXE /U /O /N /Z
KB923789.exe /Q:A /R:N
KB923980.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB924270.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB924667.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB925398.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB925876.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB925902.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB926247.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB926255.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB926436.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB927779.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB927802.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB927891.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB928255.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB929123.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB929338.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB929399.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB930178.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB930916.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB931261.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB931784.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB932168.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB933360.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB933579.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB933729.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB935448.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB935839.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB935840.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB935843.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB936021.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB936181.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB936357.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB936782.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB937894.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB938127.exe /Q /N /Z
KB938828.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB938829.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB939373.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB939683.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB941202.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB941568.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB941569.EXE /U /O /N /Z
KB941644.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB942615.exe /Q /N /Z
KB942763.exe /Q /N /Z
KB943460.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB943485.exe /U /O /N /Z
KB944653.exe /U /O /N /Z
qchain.exe

Instead of using your current method, why not simply use HFSLIP instead? It seems to me like you're only using nLite partly, so why even bother using it at all? Using HFSLIP I encounter none of the problems which you mentioned in your first posting.

/EDIT

"Using nLite I encounter" -> "Using HFSLIP I encounter"; I do not use nLite.

Edited by Arie

I guess the answer to your question, Arie, is "I don't know why." In fact, I'd be interested in learning the pros & cons of using the various methods of accomplishing, in essence, the same thing. I have no experience with HFSLIP, but I'd be willing to try it given good cause. Perhaps there have been some posts that cover this that someone could direct me to. Up till now, I've been following The Guide (mostly blindly) and trying to decipher which methods are the best which it is not very clear about. It sounds like you prefer nLite, but have some experience with HFSLIP as well.

Thanks for your thoughts Arie.

It sounds like you prefer nLite, but have some experience with HFSLIP as well.

I made a mistake in my previous posting, my apologies for that. I've editted my previous posting.

I personally prefer HFSLIP over nLite. I have tested nLite in the past, but in my humble opinion it takes away too much control over my unattended project. For people who want a straight forward and easy solution, I have no doubt that nLite is a nice tool. For more control, it's always best to do everything, or as much as possible, yourself. If you do as much as possible yourself, you know exactly what everything does and you're never dependant on others.

Integrating hotfixes, creating your own silent, self-extracting application packages and adding those to your project, applying tweaks, et cetera, these are all things for which you basically don't need third-party tools to do all the work for you. Yes, you will need to use tools such as 7ZIP or WinRAR for example to create your own packages, but the end result will be your self-created package of which you know exactly how it works, which you can update or change yourself, et cetera. Using packages made by others as most nLite users to, you make yourself dependant on others. In my case, I would always want to check the packages made by others because I would want to know what their packages do. Who knows, they might contain a backdoor, errors, et cetera? I prefer to be in control ;)

HFSLIP is a big script. You can go through it and see what it does. With nLite you have to trust the creator. Not that I don't trust the creator, but still I would like to know what the application does exactly. HFSLIP takes away tasks such as integrating hotfixes for me. Since I can see what HFSLIP does by looking at the source, I let HFSLIP take care of this job instead of doing it myself. There is something that nLite can do which HFSLIP doesn't and that is remove components completely from your source. This however is functionality which I don't use and never want to use. Remove components is in my humble opinion not necessary; if I don't want something to install, I don't let it install, so why would I want to remove it from my source files? Because it takes space on my installation disc? I use a DVD so I have plenty of space ;) And when upgrading to future Service Packs for example, my installation won't complain that certain things are missing from my installation disc and such ;)

Anyway, I prefer HFSLIP. Others will prefer nLite. This will generate a whole "fanboy" discussion ;) Give both a try yourself and see what you prefer and stick to that.

Arie, thank you very much for your time and comments. Personally, I also like to be in control over my installation and would like to know what's going on from an intellectual standpoint. Right now, for me, it's more for educational purposes than anything. I will definitely be checking out HFSLIP for my next project, which will be on a DVD and will begin immediately following my current project. Unfortunately, my current project must fit on a CD for added compatibility.

So I do have another question for you then. In your opinion, should I not be using the SVCPACK.INF method of installing hotfixes? Is it better to use HFSLIP to integrate them? Up till now, knowing nothing about this, I was using The Guide's vague descriptions. Being somewhat like you, from the sound of it, I immediately chose what it calls "The Manual Way" and then used the following paragraph to determine my preference:

» Manual Way

The two methods here are using the /INTEGRATE switch of the newer hotfixes, or creating a SVCPACK.INF file. The /INTEGRATE method only works for the most recent hotfixes released, I recommend using this ONLY with Windows XP SP2 hotixes. This does not include the Internet Explorer patches. The SVCPACK.INF method is the old official method, which the /INTEGRATE switch does create, but doing it by hand allows you to also add the IE patch and others. The SVCPACK.INF method is compatible with Windows 2000-2003.

So from that it's obvious that I would choose the SVCPACK.INF method since it seems to downplay integration as being incompatible. Again, I appreciate any light you can shed on this for me. Also, I understand it may be opinionated. :sneaky: Thanks.

P.S. Any links to said "fanboy" discussions would be nice too. It's probably exactly what I need at this point.

The two I'm most concerned about are the IE7 updates, because they seem to be hanging up my "unattended" setup. That's what I really want to focus on getting working right now.
You will need to extract the IEXPLORE.EXE file from the IE7 installation package, compress it to IEXPLORE.EX_, and replace the IEXPLORE.EX_ file in the Windows source with the newer version.

When using the svcpack.inf method(or the /integrate method), then all the installers for the updates are included on the disc and installed during Windows setup(T-13), which then means that an additional space and time overhead is added into the equation.

However, if you use nLite or HFSLIP to update your Windows source directly, then the installers for the updates isn't included on disc or even installed at all, since all the updated files and needed reg entries have been directly integrated into your Windows source.

This is the benefit from using nLite or HFSLIP over the svcpack.inf method.

Personally, then i preffer using a post-SP2 update pack(Xable's) to get my Windows source up-to-date, but that's a matter of taste...

In my humble oppinion, then nLite is such a convenient and centralized platform for controlling all those common tasks like updates, drivers, unattended settings, reg tweaks, patches and component removals, and with a level of control so that it dosen't leave anyhting to be desired...

@Yzowl - I extracted the new .exe, but I'm unfamiliar with how to re-compress it now to the .ex_ format. Sorry, I'm a total noob, I know. :blushing:

@Martin H -

When using the svcpack.inf method (or the /integrate method), then all the installers for the updates are included on the disc and installed during Windows setup(T-13), which then means that an additional space and time overhead is added into the equation.

I thought nLite uses the /integrate method, that's why it doesn't need all the installers included afterwards.

Edited by cart0181

Wow! Okay, I never would have figured that out. Thanks. By the way, I just used WinZip to extract. That's okay right?

Edit: okay, it worked. Now those two updates don't show up in Windows Updates. I'm still getting interrupted with two "windows installer" syntax dialog boxes during T-13 though. It must not have been caused by the IE7 updates as I once suspected. I'll keep working on it and post back.

Edited by cart0181

I thought nLite uses the /integrate method, that's why it doesn't need all the installers included afterwards.

nLite by default directly integrates all supported updates and only the un-supported updates are added to svcpack.inf and the installers copied to '\I386\SVCPACK' and installed at T-13.

You can change this behaviour by going into the 'Advanced' settings in nLite, and e.g. disable direct integration, so that all updates are added to svcpack.inf and the installers copied to '\I386\SVCPACK' and installed at T-13, but i don't see why anyone would, though...