[All Resolved] Pass 6 AuditUser questions

Hello all,

I've got a 99% properly working Unattended Vista install, however a few odd things that i can't seem to get my head around:

1. One of the synchronous commands will get fired off and produce a red cross instead of a green check thingy, however when i wait for the whole unattended install to complete it shows that particular package to be installed. The package in question is an installshield package for which i have created a "setup.iss" file. In an effort to still get a green check thingy i have tested the following:

a) in the Autounattend.xml (RunSynchronousCommand) direct command to install the package ( e.g. "setup.exe -s -f1<location to setup.iss>\setup.iss" )

B) in the Autounattend.xml (RunSynchronousCommand) a .cmd file that has the command inside ("start /wait" included)

c) in the Autounattend.xml (RunSynchronousCommand) a .cmd file that has the command inside, including a sleep command of 30 seconds

The reason i tested c) with sleep.exe was because i noticed that it would return to the command prompt without waiting for the setup to finish.

2. Another synchronous command should be installing the .Net Framework 3.5 Redistributable package, but it seems to be failing as well. Does anyone know the proper commandline to silently install?

3. The AuditUser pass ofor my Unattended install is fairly large and it drops off the screen. A setting is available in WSIM to set the display resolution for the auditUser pass, but it remains on the default 800x600. I have even tried the tool called "setres.exe" as the first command in the list to set it, but that doesn't even work either. Does anyone know how i can fix this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by SKiNNiEH

Small update:

A possible solution for point "1" might be the use of -SMS (case sensitive) in the command line, which does the following:

"Prevents a network connection and Setup.exe from closing before the setup is complete."

I will let it know here if that has solved the first issue.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

For Windows XP i did indeed use the all-in-one completely silent package that is downloadable from the ryanvm torrent page, however i can't seem to find the 3.5 package? Can you point me in the right direction?

As for the -SMS switch for point 1, that didn't fix my problem. I'm still getting a red "X" and not a green check, even though the app is installed correctly.

The first issue has now been resolved!

Since the RunSynchronousCommand gave a red cross but still installed the program correctly, i have been thinking about how to still get the green check thing after it has run.

So what i did was this:

I created an MSI installer that has the setup files in it, the MSI installer (upon starting with the normal /QB- /Norestart switches) then unpacks the Installshield setup files, followed by a custom action "setup.exe -s -SMS -f1Setup.iss", waits for it to complete and then the MSI completes. So basically, i have wrapped the setup inside an MSI which fires off the normal install. This has given me the green check!

The install always worked, but i couldn't stand the little cosmetic "error" during the unattended setup :)

So... point 1 resolved

Point 2 resolved

and Point 3 resolved :)