New to sysprep and need help

Hi All,

Hope someone can help me out. I'm new to sysprep and trying to create a standard image to be deployed on multiple machines(same hardware on all of them). After I run all the additional tasks I want to reseal my system and store the image on the network

This is what I've done so far.

I have I standard copy(standard meaning the one that usually comes form OEM) of Windows XP Pro installed on my reference hardware.

I've installed all the hardware drivers and software. Now I need to install all the updates but I can't because my Windows need to be activated.

My questions:

How can I install all the updates without activating my image( again I want y customers to activated them self and go threw Mini-Setup)?or do I have to activate Windows.

Which option should I use in sysprep so the images don't expire?

I work for OEM so we have access to all versions of Windows, which one should I use? The Volume License or the one that customer would buy with system

Thank you

Edited by miko29

You should use the OEM version that the customer will buy unless they have a volume license agreement with Microsoft already.

To install the updates:

1) Copy the WinXP SP2 OEM cd contents to a local drive.

2) Then download all the updates you want to install as well. Windows Update Download http://wud.jcarle.com may help to identify all the downloads.

3) Slipstream all the updates into your XP SP2 source filess using the /integrate command then recompile the cd contents into an .ISO file.

Build your 'Gold' image onto the hardware you intend to image and sysprep. Once the OS is loaded install SYSPREP and reseal the image. You don't have to activate. Re-image the updated computer then the next time you deploy you will have the updated image ready to go.

When you need to update with further patches, lay the image down on the hardware again, apply the updates, install sysprep again and reseal. If you include the XP source files in your image integrate the new patches into those source files to. Take new image of hardware and just repeat steps as necessary.

That should do it.