MSIMN.EXE (Outlook Express)

Jeremy

I read up on Cluberti's thread about creating a .dmp file of a hanging application.

I then found DebugWiz linked on this page.

I request that anyone familiar with analyzing the results of the generated log file to hopefully provide me with some indication of the problem.

This application is hanging occasionally on my aunt-in-law's PC which is:

Windows XP Home SP2

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 GHz

512MB of RAM

27.6 GB free out of 31.4 GB

Virus/spyware free

Defragmented

I have attached the debuglog.txt file.

I will add that in the log file it states:

*** Your debugger is not using the correct symbols ***
*** In order for this command to work properly, your symbol path ***
*** must point to .pdb files that have full type information. ***
*** Certain .pdb files (such as the public OS symbols) do not ***
*** contain the required information. Contact the group that ***
*** provided you with these symbols if you need this command to ***
*** work. ***
*** Type referenced: kernel32!pNlsUserInfo ***

If you need any further information I will be happy to provide it.

I have no IT certifications so I learn as I go and if someone can give me some guidelines on how to interpret the log files that would also be greatly appreciated.

Edit - I updated the attachment with a slightly more correct one ran with Windbg rather than the DebugWiz.exe I found.

debuglog.txt

Edited by Jeremy

You can either configure symbols in the debugger each time you run it, or, create a SYSTEM environment variable as follows:

Name: _NT_SYMBOL_PATH

Value: SRV*C:\Websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

After you create this value, you'll have a way to download symbols from the Microsoft symbol server on the 'net, and you won't get that error anymore (and you'll be able to debug). From what you've got, it looks like heap corruption of some sort caused by something (ntdll!RtlAllocateHeap+0x1da), but again, without symbols this could be inaccurate. Configure the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH variable, and try again.

You can either configure symbols in the debugger each time you run it, or, create a SYSTEM environment variable as follows:

Name: _NT_SYMBOL_PATH

Value: SRV*C:\Websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

After you create this value, you'll have a way to download symbols from the Microsoft symbol server on the 'net, and you won't get that error anymore (and you'll be able to debug). From what you've got, it looks like heap corruption of some sort caused by something (ntdll!RtlAllocateHeap+0x1da), but again, without symbols this could be inaccurate. Configure the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH variable, and try again.

I did this however I am still getting the same warning box that I do not have the correct symbols. I even rebooted.

I did this however I am still getting the same warning box that I do not have the correct symbols. I even rebooted.

Once you have the dump open in windbg, then, go to the bottom box and type ".symfix" (minus the quotes). Hit enter, then run your commands again.

Once you have the dump open in windbg, then, go to the bottom box and type ".symfix" (minus the quotes). Hit enter, then run your commands again.

I did that and got:

No downstream store given, using C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows\sym

How big is the file when it's compressed? Perhaps you could upload it here (or some file hosting site) and we could analyze it?

I would rather solve the issue of my symbols. I prefer not to depend on others. :)

OK, try this - in the debugger, open the dump file, then type the following commands:

.logopen c:\debuglog.log

.sympath SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

!sym noisy

!analyze -v

.logclose

Post the c:\debuglog.log here so I can see why you're not getting symbols.

OK, try this - in the debugger, open the dump file, then type the following commands:

.logopen c:\debuglog.log

.sympath SRV*c:\websymbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

!sym noisy

!analyze -v

.logclose

Post the c:\debuglog.log here so I can see why you're not getting symbols.

debuglog.txt