Speed up Word and Excel 2007

kiriku

Maybe the following tweak it's not the seventh wonder but it help me and I want to share it.

I was having problems with Word and mainly with Excel every time the computer was disconnected from the office network. Every time a single number or text was written to a cell in Excel the computer take forever to show it.

I found that Excel is was trying to connect to the network printer (set as default at that time) to, maybe, calculate the layout of the page in the paper (as print preview).

First I found that stopping the "Print Spooler" service help to work normally, but by loosing the print preview option (Start-> Control Panel-> Administrative Tools-> Services). The best way I found, and still using, is to set a local printer as default like the "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" that gets installed by default with windows.

Also, you can use the Fax Viewer printer. If don't see it installed go to Start-> Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs-> Add or Remove Windows components (3er icon in the left panel)-> scroll down and mark "Fax Services" click next and follow the screen prompts.

I hope this can be useful to someone, bye!

kiriku, that's good to know...we have some mobile users at work that complain about their office application taking some time to do stuff. I'll see if this works for us.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a couple of words for you....THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been plaged with horrible Word and Excel performance and never even thought about this. I have searched and searched and no one has ever mentioned this before. Thanks again, you have truly helped me :)