Intel vs. Dell drivers

Idontwantspam

In an attempt probably doomed to fail at making games work to some degree on my laptop, I downloaded the latest driver for my video card (if you can call it that). Intel is offering version 14.32.3, released 12/29/2007. I attempted to install the driver, but it gave me this error:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.

Please obtain the proper driver from the computer's manufacturer.

Setup will now exit.

[OK]

Well, since it's a dell machine, I went to support.dell.com, put in my computer's model and went to the drivers download page. The latest driver dell has for the 945GM chipset is version 14.10.4814, released 5/14/2007.

So basically, it looks like I am being somehow forced to use a driver that is more than half a year older than the current one. Does anyone have any idea about how I can get the proper drivers from Intel to install? I am going to attempt to contact Dell about the problem, but in the meantime, since it will take a while to hear back from them, I thought I'd ask here. Also, is anyone else experiencing these problems? I'm specifically having problems with Portal, and it sounds like others with the 945GM have had this issue, and Intel is working on a fix, but I'm worried that the fix won't install either, or that this was the fix.

Well, I discovered that dell does something to lock in their drivers, and not allow other ones. Fortunately, I was able to completely uninstall the dell driver and install the new intel one.

The games still die - not BSOD's as they used to, but just "name.ext has encountered an error" doctor-watson sorts of things.

:(

Intel is offering version 14.32.3, released 12/29/2007. I attempted to install the driver, but it gave me this error:

The driver being installed is not validated for this computer.

Please obtain the proper driver from the computer's manufacturer.

Setup will now exit.

[OK]

This error message sounds like a Windows setting, the one that blocks non-digitally signed drivers!

This may be simply because Windows is reporting an error.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP