Outlook 2007 Very Large PST

Deploysrs

I have allot of employees that need to hang onto e-mail for 2 years. How can I keep outlook 2007 PST file down under 3 gigs. I have a lot of employees that have PST files as big as 10 to 16 gigs. Is there any other way then Archiving in outlook? Does anyone know of any third party apps that can extract the e-mail and move it to a Hard drive folder but also be able to view if necessary. That way Outlook can stay under 3 gig mark but employees can still read old mail.

I have been manually moving the e-mail to a folder on the hard drive but I was hoping there was a program that could do it for me automatically.

Anyone feel free to correct me if Im wrong but AFAIK, the only way to reduce the file size besides File->Data File Management->2xClick on file->Compact Now (which never reduces the file much for me) is to reduce the size manually (clear deleted items/sent items/Junk/Drafts/Large messages/etc)

I usually only keep around 6 months email in outlook at a given time. The rest are in separate PSTs.

File->Archive.

Select All Folders Set the date to 1/1/2005

Browse and create pre2005.pst

Wait

File->Archive.

Select All Folders Set the date to 1/1/2006

Browse and create 2005-2006.pst

Wait

File->Archive.

Select All Folders Set the date to 1/1/2007

Browse and create 2006-2007.pst

Change the names/remove the files from outlook in File->Data File Management

Customize # of month per file as needed. Files can be burned and stored on DVD (you can also add a password in File->Data File Management) I store mine one of our file servers.

When you need an email from a certain time period, insert DVD, Open Outlook, File->Data File Management->Add->Browse->Wait

Anyone feel free to correct me if Im wrong but AFAIK, the only way to reduce the file size besides File->Data File Management->2xClick on file->Compact Now (which never reduces the file much for me) is to reduce the size manually (clear deleted items/sent items/Junk/Drafts/Large messages/etc)

I usually only keep around 6 months email in outlook at a given time. The rest are in separate PSTs.

File->Archive.

Select All Folders Set the date to 1/1/2005

Browse and create pre2005.pst

Wait

File->Archive.

Select All Folders Set the date to 1/1/2006

Browse and create 2005-2006.pst

Wait

File->Archive.

Select All Folders Set the date to 1/1/2007

Browse and create 2006-2007.pst

Change the names/remove the files from outlook in File->Data File Management

Customize # of month per file as needed. Files can be burned and stored on DVD (you can also add a password in File->Data File Management) I store mine one of our file servers.

When you need an email from a certain time period, insert DVD, Open Outlook, File->Data File Management->Add->Browse->Wait

Sounds like a plan... Thanks :thumbup