psp (not games its tech but i dunno where to put it) usb connection pr

jamescarroll

i have got a psp connection to put in my computer and it won't install right

i am using windows xp home edition sp2

it sucseffuly installed the otherday but something happened to it and i can't get it to work again

before i maniged to get it to work by removing the memory card duo activating usb mode and letting it install.

it recognized the psp all fine.

then i added the card and it installed fine too.

but now it won't do anything other than say unknown device.

could some one please help me

if you have an "Unknown Device" in device manager i would say just rightclick and uninstall it, restart your PSP (popout the battery) start it back up, plug it in turn on USB mode via the menu and windows should redetect it. Its just a mass storage device like a pen drive or anything else.

only other thing that should be mentioned is if you map a network drive to the drive letter that device was previously installed on, you will need to change the drive letter on compmgt.msc under "Drive Management"

what happens if you try to "Update Driver..." on the unknown device?

can you save/view data on the card using the PSP itself?

also do you have any other pen drive or removable hard drive that works/doesnt work on this system

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PSP/...ds/default.html

if i try to update driver i get their is no driver better than the one i already have witch is nothing so it must be telling fibs

2 what i meant at the beginning is i could install the psp first then the memory stick second the memory stick is the actual thing you save to.

now no matter what i do it won't work any order but to answer your question no

3 i have a computer memory stick what works fine even tho the psp memory card and the memory stick use the same drives the computer stick works fine.

i remember that for the 10 mins it worked it said installed psp type a then when i added the memory stick it said installed mass storage device

and in case anyone asks it has been formatted for the psp

Edited by jamescarroll

• 2 weeks later...

Well... i've got a problem with my PSP too...

My XP does recognise it as a Sony PSP MS USB device... but it won't assign it a drive... so it's impossible for me to access it... Anyone got a clue what to do with this?

• 1 month later...

All Usb flash storage devices should read as USB flash storage no diffrent then any other flash. Even a regular HD at most should read as a flash drive and work no diffrently then a USB flash only with you turning it on and off and hoping the drive definition does not getr scrambled and you will have to erase it manually or reinstall the driver.

However in the case of regular HD ( like the ones in most PC ) you might need a special device that will tell you the drive you are using is a real HD and not a USB flash. In the case of the PSP like the NDS/Wii seperate network connection you would need an alternative driver file that can reconize your PSP when you hook it up like a PDA.

Take for example the Synchronize option in windows 95/98 that is no longer in high use when people roamed around with Laptops ( True Micro Computers ) and called it portable. There is various programs that can link and even istall from another computer.

There might be one on a PSP pro forum somewhere.....in which I doubt it would be a official forum. Maybe even a PSP upgrade forum or something like that.