Nlite or sp3 beta issue - Resolved

eddie11013

Looking for a little guidance. I had installed the sp3, build 3205 using nlite and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Since you can now get the sp3, build 3244, I made a DVD. Well, I have one ‘basic’ problem. Very often, when I click on my desktop icon for Internet Explorer, it attempts to open and then closes. Usually I have to try three or four times before I can get it to open. More often then not, once I’m in, the connection stays ok. However, I notice that when I go to use the copy and paste functions or the favorites functions, I run into other issues. This would seem to indicate that my I.E.6 must be corrupt some how. Keep in mind that all my settings, regarding what I do with nlite are the same, meaning component removal, add on’s etc. I did a Google search and I found various things to try: 1) Right click on IE icon on desktop, click Properties, go to Advanced tab, under Browsing, untick EnableThird Party Browser Extensions (requires restart), 2) Tried to run sfc /scannow, didn’t work, and I think that’s because I using nlite, 3) Ran IE Fix, 4) When to control panel/add and remove programs - add and remove components/ unticked Internet Explorer - reticked Internet Explorer, it did its thing, rebooted, same problem, 5) When to C:\Windows\inf\ right click on ie.inf and select Install, wanted “iexplore.exe”, found same on DVD\i386, 6) I downloaded an ie6setup.exe, but the computer stated I had a newer version and would not go forward, 7) I have run various ‘anti’ programs, like spybot, ad aware 2007, online scans from: A-Squared On Line Trojan Scan -- BitDefender On Line Scan -- Ewido On Line Scan -- F-Secure On Line Scan -- House Call Anti-Virus -- Kaspersky. I have Zone Alarm and AVG, all scans come up clean.

I went back to sp3, build 3205, everything worked fine. Burned a new DVD-RW, using sp3, build 3244 and my problem returned. Try to open IE and sometimes does and most times doesn’t.

Is there maybe something I'm removing that I should not?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Eddie

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by eddie11013

I tried your preset and IE works but I didn't try the addons so it must be one of them.

Check if there is any error in the C:\Windows\setuperr.log

Paste it here. Only two SFC warnings are normal for your config, sfcfiles.dll and tscupgrd.exe. Anything else is error worth mentioning. Also if you manage to try without addons to confirm that would be good. (in virtual pc for example)

Thanks for replying, Nuhi

setuperr.log is blank, no errors no nothing.

Will try the other regarding no addon's in virtual box tomorrow, however, the addons were the same on both build 3205 & 3244. I did uninstall a couple of programs just to see if they would have any effect, spybot, since its a beta, and select view and 1-click answers, since their bho stuff. No difference. Sorry to ask a newbie question, but how do you tell that IE works in a virtual box pc?

Thanks,

Eddie

Hmmmmm. Regarding my problem. Wonder if this bit of information might help to resolve my issue. I have a word document where I have saved all my favorite sites that I like to go to from time to time. It's a fairly long list. Again, their on this word document, not on my IE6 favorites list. What if I were to tell you that every single time that I clicked on one of those 'www's', on this word document, that my Internet Explorer opened perfectly, without fail. However, most times that I click on my IE6 icon or go through the start/programs/Internet Explorer, it will fail to open.

What in the world could be causing this?

Thanks again for any guidance,

Eddie

Problem resolved. Seems it was a 'Microsoft' issue after all. Have a look here regarding a workaround: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.htm...2657673#2657673

Although, I didn't install this "KB", separately, I only assume that its somehow included in the sp3 rc1. I applied their workaround, rebooted and the issue is resolved. All the previous 'addons' I had uninstalled in the attempt to resolve my problem have been reinstalled and the computer is working as expected.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Once again, I note that the nlite program is indeed a great program.

Thanks again,

Eddie