Vista Setup Problems

Razorwing

Hello,

I previously used the nLite on Windows XP and has no problems with getting it to work, but the vLite for Vista just wont work. Its really annoying me as i need it to work in order to fix my computer (need to apply the memory hotfix). I have attached a file with 4 pictures in it to show the setup i have done incase i am doing something i shouldnt be doing.

All i want to do really is just apply the hotfixes, but i thought i could do with using some of the other options which comes with vLite :)

Any way, the problem i am getting is that when Vista setup starts from the image i created, it requests for drivers in order to see my hard drive. I know i dont need drivers to see my hard drive and vista official disc seems to pick them up alright, the same screen appears as if you clicked "Load Driver" from the hard drive selection screen.

Not sure if this is a commen problem but it shortly bombs out after a few min :(

Any help would be greatly recieved.

Pictures.zip

Edited by Razorwing

I think the key here is "memory hotfix". Are you saying that you forgot that full Vista doesn't work as well before "blaiming" vLite?

Unplug one memory stick if you have 4GB and it will probably work.

Btw good news for you, next vLite has a option to force that during boot as well. Check tomorrow for download, let me know if it helped.

Well, i got 8GB of memory in my system (4x2GB). The hoxfix is meant to fix the installation and M$ recommends applying the hotfix to the installation. I am not really blaming vLite, i love the software and what it can do, but its strange that it keeps coming up with the "Load Driver" window. Even if the setup doesnt crash, i cannot seem to find a way round that Window. I hope your new release can fix this, i look forward to it :)

Update:

Just tryed the same image in VMWare and it works perfect. The OS does not crash when you have more than 3GB in due to the hotfix from MS web site being applied to the installation disc. I still dont understand why the "Load the Driver" screen comes up on my main install where as the hard drive selection comes up with the VMWare. The official Vista Disc works fine, just comes up with the HDD selection. Maybe there is a problem with vLite taking out drivers for HDD support or something. I dont think it can be a hardware problem. Must be a bug or something :(

Any way, it just proves that settings i had for vLite work, its just strange that i get different forms come up on the two different computers (main computer and vm computer).

vLite doesn't change boot environment. ONLY thing that can possibly do that is Memory Usage tweak, don't change it to 256MB, leave at default. If you have then next thing to check is the Unattended settings. The auto-image selection. First start by deleting autounattend.xml file and remake ISO.

And the fact that it works in virtual means that it's the driver-device thing. Maybe you should retry that full Vista, I somehow doubt that it will be any different, unless it's the unattended setting thing.

Not sure where the memory usage tweak would be found, so hopefully it should be default any way.

Strange thing is that the full vista works correctly on my main machine, vLite image works correctly under vmware but not on my main machine. Maybe i will have to wait until the next release when you can provide an option not to "Load Driver".