Services (What to Remove)

craigdh

This is NLite HELP.

Hello people, Could someone please assist me on a problem i am having with Removing Services, i obviously know how to remove them, but which ones to remove.

I would like to slim down the services my PC uses; so i can use more resources on other applications, games etc... If someone could advise me on the MAIN services i should not remove (cause system fail, error etc..) that would be great. :)

I also will list some things i use that might require some certain services:

Hardware/General

Printer (with scanner)

Modem (Netcomm NB6)

USB Logitech Headset

USB Mouse

Application/Games

Ocasinaly Used:

mIRC

Windows Live msgr

CD/DVD Burning software

torrent downling software

Adobe Reader

MS Office

Mainly Used:

Games (Counter-Strike source, BF2, etc...)

Teamspeak

Ventrilo

WinRAR

Anti virus software

PC Health stuff (ccleaner or anyother junk cleaner)

You get the general idea of what i use...

I dont do any music editing, or movie.

I can servive without Windows Live msgr, mIRC... if the removed services for them will rwally speed my pc up..

Edited by craigdh

I guess, what did you expect within 30min or so, eh?

The software you mention does not usually depend on base Windows services; all that stuff (antivirus, adobe, etc., etc.) add their own services when you install the software.

Now, it depends whether your PC is a stand-alone (i.e. you are the only one using it or are there other users as well). For a stand-alone, I think it is safe to remove these:

alerter

beep driver

error reporting

IMAPI (have Nero or something equivalent?)

Indexing

IPSEC

Messanger

Network DDE

QoS RSVP + QoS

Remote Registry

Removable storage (only keep if you are using iomega)

Route Listening

RPC Locator

Secondary logon

Service advertising

Simple TCP/IP

SNMP

NetBIOS

Telnet

Uninterruptible power supply (if you don't use a UPS, or you don't need to manage it through windows)

The easiest thing to do is keep all of them, then try disabling the ones you think you don't need (for instance, create a 2nd hardware profile) and see if eveything works, and so on. Once you end up with the list you don't need, remove them with nLite.

what time is it in Australia???

anyway, keep secondary logon then.

But as I said before, the easiest/safest thing to do it is, right now, from within windows, create a secondary hardware profile and disable all the services you think you don't need and see how things work.

I have 2 more things to run by you.

* Ok, I downloaded the addons from nLite website, i added the rar folder they came in, to the addon section. Now will they install on my PC once i reformatt? do i need to edit some options to make them install. i have tryed other times but they do not install..

* When i get up to the Unattended page, do i need to change the "Unatteded mode" to make the addons install proper?, the default mode was hide pages..

In the Addons page, you can add:

1) Microsft updates/hotfixes (KBxxxxx.exe) including, for instance, IE7.exe

2) Zipped (.rar or .7z) packages with software or MS Hotfixes (e.g. Xable's or RyanVM's packs)

3) Compressed programs (.cab files)

Add them as they are, en block - do not try to exctract! nLite will incorporate them in your installation, yes. So, when Windows are installed, these programs will also be installed (in the Add/Remove Programs, you will see 7-zip, Adobe Reader, or whatever else you added - note that you will not see the MS updates, though).

In the Unattended page, you can change settings so that the installation is done with or without user input. You can add your windows key, name, computer name, etc., so that the setup does not stop for these things waiting for you! There is nothing really related to the addons here.