"Windows Update Agent" Silent Install Problem, Please Help&a

I am installing Hotfixes silently post install on XP SP2.

I know for Windows Update to even scan for whats needed, the "Windows Update Agent" needs installing.

So, by looking at how HFSLIP handles this problem, it seems to also use an additional .cab file as well as the actual update agent itself.

You need (for HFSLIP) these two files;

WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe (v7.0.6000.381) ???

http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsU...Agent30-x86.exe

MUAuth.cab - the mysterious (and tiny) cab file that just has a .xml file inside it:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windo...lone/MUAuth.cab

So to silently install "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" I am using this command:

start /wait WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /q /o /z

This does indeed install, because it adds the file "wups2.dll" to the system32 folder.

Alas, its not enough, Windows Update STILL insists on installing this AGAIN before it will scan for updates.

I can only guess I also need to do something with the file MUAuth.cab but what? What do I need to do with this?

HFSLIP seems to repack the cab file (just to make it smaller, nothing more) and adds it to I386 with lines in the setup files (txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf) to unpack this file, hmmmm.

TommyP please help me!

I wonder, do I simply need to xcopy this cab file to system32 BEFORE installing the Windows Update Agent, or what?

I have no clue, I don't get why MS have to play games like this on us all the time, you cannot even update Windows unless this agent thing is installed first. Even installing it doesn't install it!

The real bad thing is I have installed Windows in VMware and now I have installed this agent I need to re-install it again just to "uninstall" this agent and try to do it silently, d4mn I knew I shouldn't have installed it from the WU website, oh well.

Edited by LeveL

Thanks DarkShadows, I am slowly working it out.

Up to now its only a few that are still popping up despite already "installing" them.

The suggestion by Yzöwl worked, the Windows Update Agent is sorted out, its just the WGA notifications one...

(Cue the horror film music).......

KB905474 :ph34r:

Edited by LeveL

If you simply follow my guide (linked above) soup-to-nuts, you will have everything installed correctly. What's more, you will most likely have even more installed than you are currently integrating.

OK thanks but I am doing this post install, its not to integrate or slipstream the hotfixes - its to install them all in Windows "post install".

Why would anyone want to do that when they could just visit WU? Well, what if you ripped out the BITS service, Windows Update service and didn't even have IE6/IE7 because its been nLite'd? You're not able to update Windows in that situation UNLESS you have already downloaded all the hotfixes and have a batch file that installs them all.

:ph34r: