NTLDR missing from bootable disk

aerrin99

I have a new Toshiba laptop (exact specs here - pdf) and I'd like to install XP on it instead of Vista. I have a clean copy of XP pro with SP2, and I downloaded the SATA drivers from the intel site (originally I was using a floppy to install them, which worked fine until the end when it stopped reading the floppy drive, so I moved to trying to slipstream them with nLite).

I had no problem copying the windows CD or inserting the drivers and it appears to have created the ISO and burned properly, but upon trying to boot the Toshiba from the CD I get the following text:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0f: Exiting PXE ROM.

NTLDR is missing

Press ctrl+alt+del to restart

Anyone have any words of wisdom as to why this happened or how to fix it?

Edited by aerrin99

It sounds like it's simply not booting from CD-ROM. Check your BIOS to see if it's set to boot from CD-ROM. If it does try to boot from CD-ROM, then apperantly the CD-ROM which you burned is not bootable. Did you burn the disc properly; what do you see on the disc itself/what are it's contents? Did you remove anything using nLite, did you add anything, et cetera or did you only use it to integrate drivers? Have you tested your ISO-file in a virtual environment, such as Microsoft Virtual PC 2007?

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I did set it to boot from the CD, yes (f12 during start-up and then CD/DVD from the options list), but I haven't tried running the ISO in a virtual environment. I'll try that, and also take a look at the CD contents so I can list them, after work today.

Thanks!

Magic ISO says it's bootable. I didn't make any changes except to integrate the drivers for my HD.

The disk contains:

Directories

DOCS

DOTNETFX

l386

SUPPORT

VALUEADD

Files

AUTORUN.INF

LAST SESSION (205312.11-21.40.03).INI

LAST SESSION (205312.11-21.40.03)_U.INI

LAST SESSION (205312.11-21.46.34).INI

LAST SESSION (205312.11-21.46.34)_U.INI

LAST SESSION.INI

LAST SESSION_U.INI

README.HTM

SETUP.EXE

SETUPXP.HTM

WIN51

WIN51IP

WIN51IP.SP2

Any ideas?

My virtual environment loads it fine and I get the installation/repair menu when I mount it. This computer won't boot from it, though - F12 on start up and selecting the HDD loads windows as usually, so apparently it's not reading it?

I burned the disk on Sonic at 4x speed, but otherwise didn't make any change from the default burning settings. Is there anything else I should change?