integrating pnp drivers into a RIS image

RIS appears so cut and dry, until you start applying these concepts in real world.

I am attempting to integrate video drivers into a RIPREP image. I have completed the instructions listed in the technet article below.

Adding Plug and Play Drivers to a RIS Image

URL: http://207.46.196.114/WindowsServer/en/lib...43aeed1033.mspx

However, it isn't working.

When the image completes I am still looking at a system without the appropriate video drivers installed. The native resolution isn't there.

I really like troubleshooting these issues, but I've checked and double checked these instructions and google'd countless other resources.

It's just not coming together. Can someone assist me?

Below this line is my riprep.sif file [unattended] section

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = Yes

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\STOR;Drivers\VID"

FileSystem = LeaveAlone

ExtendOEMPartition = 0

TargetPath = \WINDOWS

OemSkipEula = yes

InstallFilesPath = "\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

LegacyNIC = 1

Many thanks.

KB Article 314859 states the following:

------------------------------------------

Note that if you choose to format the partition in the NTFS file system during setup, you cannot copy the newer OEM driver into the System32\Drivers folder after text-mode setup finishes. This is because the Windows Setup program formats the partition as NTFS before copying files. To work around this limitation, install Windows into a file allocation table (FAT) partition that is less than 2 GB in size or into a FAT32 partition that is less than 32 GB in size. Doing this allows access by using a startup disk from Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me). After Windows is installed, use the following command to convert the FAT or FAT32 partition to NTFS:

convert c: /fs:ntfs

------------------------------------------

i really hope this isnt the case. I can't find this stated anywhere in other MS documentation..

can someone please help.

Dont use Rip Rep.

the best way to automate the installtion of XP across multiple PC hardware with drivers etc integrated is to use RISSetup images & use autoimage, BTS Driver packs & Ryan VM update packs.

I appreciate the reply, but you didn't answer my question. This sub forum is for MS technologies.

The article is not adding up. It's all there in black and white, but the results do not appear.

I am requesting help with Microsoft Remote Installation, not third party applications.

So, can someone assist me in getting this to work? I can be available via IM.

sysbuilder

I was refering to Microsoft RIS.

If you use the odd 3rd part application which fellow MSFN members have created, im sure it will aid in what your trying to acheive & make your life easier. If I handnt listened to members on this forum years back i would still be struggerling.

using RipRep is a waste of time as you cannot get it to go across multiple hardware easily. if you use RIS Setup instead you can create installation images. i can do a full unattended install of XP pro with office 2007 & other standard applications in 45mins. From here you can use a 3rd party imaging application or Ximage(microsoft) imaging application if you feel the need.

Edited by chiners_68

After much trial and no functionality, what 3rd party apps do you recommend?

All I am concerned about is automating drivers within the automated installation.

The environment I am working in has minimal software that I can add manually after the installation is complete.

So, the key here for me is automated driver installation.

Thank you much!

• 1 month later...

Autoimage - http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

this software will is the main package. this will grap your ris image, integrate RVM update packs to give you latest updates & integrate BTS driverpacks & copy the relvaent drivers into txtmode for you.

Driverpacks & Driverpack base - http://www.driverpacks.net/

Ryan VM update pack - http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

Booogy WMP11 integrator - http://web.clicknet.ro/boooggy/

• 4 months later...

Microsoft's documentation contains an error. They say to put: Drivers\Network Adapter;Drivers\Video, etc. into the SIF file and then they are going to append the %systemdrive% variable to the beginning of each of the device driver paths you put into the OemPnPDriversPath.

The problem is that %systemdrive% on a typical PC returns "C:" (no quotes of course) - that means if you follow their documentation you would end up with the following line: OemPnPDriversPath = "C:Drivers\network adapter;C:Drivers\Modem;Drivers\Video"

Obviously that won't work - your line in your SIF file should read: OemPnPDriversPath = \Drivers\network adapter;\Drivers\Modem;Drivers\Video

The addition of the backslash at the beginning of each driver type and then "C:" getting appended to the beginning gives you valid paths.

I'd also recommend shortening your path names if possible and removing any spaces - I don't know if there is a limit to the length of that line, but I suspect there is - I use: \Dvrs\NIC;\Dvrs\Modem;Dvrs\Video for example

Hope this helps,

Dave