Nliteeee

Meph7799

hey guys, first timer with Nlite here, i'm getting an asus 4g black soon and i want to custom tailor my XP to the micro-laptop. That pretty much means a no-frills install that can fully support the little laptop's hardware. I don't want IE. I do want to be able to support standard programs, mostly school oriented. I have a large external HDD, so i just want all the programs and installs on the EEE's HDD. im wondering how to install XP without a proper CD drive :S

kinda new to this, so be gentle.

thanks guys.

Edited by Meph7799

I'am glad you like my site nuhi but I created the tutorial you linked to for installing retail copies of XP, it uses a very complex script and doesn't work well with nlite. The method discussed in this thread http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1888 is more nlite friendly. I will be updating the site with a tutorial for nlite installations soon (it's insanely popular) once I have some time to tinker with it more throughly myself.

Nick

Edited by dezman2003

dezman2003, welcome to the forum.

Regarding that compatibility issue you mentioned.

There is nlite tutorial on your site, after that is done you can continue with the modifications any way you want, at least that's how it should be.

Now, what do you mean doesn't work well with your script, certain driver or component it needed or the way nlite modifies some file and breaks what the script expects?

If you have the exact error I can help you locate the issue.

On the page http://eeetutorials.blogspot.com/2007/11/i...-usb-thumb.html there is a script called usb_prep8, this is what copies the i386 folder from the cdrom. I didn't create this script I found it on an older msdn post. There didn't seem to be a complete tutorial for installing XP using a single USB stick so I spent a couple days piecing things together. What I've heard back from people who have used this method is that it works for retail copies of XP with SP2 but nlite installations fail, this may be due to people removing winnt.exe by mistake or because the script fails when expected files are missing from i386, I've been too busy to check it out myself. The script is basically a collection of batch files, if you wanted to take a look you could probably figure it out much faster than I could :) . I will take a look myself tomorrow and give you some exact error messages.

Edited by dezman2003

dezman2003, first it checks for \i386\winnt32.exe to determine if it's actually a good source which is unnecessary if you don't need manual install, you can check for any other file. But for now lets say Manual Install is needed. You decide if it can be changed to check for example i386\txtsetup.sif which is important installation file.

Meph7799, if you try it please let me know how it goes, just remember to keep "Manual Install" component, or if this script doesn't actually rely on manual install (meaning if you just boot to install) then you can just copy the winnt32.exe from the full Windows to this i386 folder of the nlited one so that it passes that detection of source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is that mean if i wanna create a usb thumb stick for installing XP which is streamlined by Nlite instead of the Full version of XP. What should i need to prepare? i still have no idea! Just copy the winnt.exe to the \I386 folder created by Nlite? or any other component i need to prepare? please advise!