Problem with WDS

JononE

:hello: Hi Everyone.

I hope I have posted this in the correct place, if not my appologies.

I wonder if anyone can please help me with this... I'm going around in circles banging my head against a very big indestructible wall (so it feels)

I currently have 2 problems. I have setup a RIS Server (initially) and then installed SP2 / WAIK / WDS and a million other microsoft updates so it's up to date. I have made sure Spanning tree protocol is turned off the ports I'm using (WDS Server and Test PC - not too sure about the DHCP Server but that shouldn't matter as such). I press F12 on the workstation and it starts the PXE boot up cycle, it picks up an IP Address from the DHCP Server... and then when it should open the boot menu - it just reboots the computer. I don't think it's in a "I'm faulty" kind a way, i think the boot menu just isn't loading / being found so it just reboots the PC as it has nothing else to do at that point.

The second fault (I don't know if they are related - they maybe ?) is If I use Terminal Services to remote onto the WDS Server, it's really really slow... like you press the start button and have to wait 15 seconds before it initialises... The firewall not on and every other Server I have built and bunged into the Network has never displayed this characteristic. Thinking it was a just buggered... I reinstalled it today, and in the end I have the exact same symptoms.

?

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated :wacko:

OK Solved it :thumbup

But now I have another question :wacko:

The problem was STP was on the switch, option 60 PXClient was on the DHCP scope and thats not needed if the DHCP Server and WDS Server are different physical computers, and the IP Helper wasn't added to the switch... and the last which is the next question I have if anyone can answer it.

The computer I have tried to network boot resets once an IP address has been handed out, but it is a computer in Active Directory, another PC which wasn't in AD once I pressed F12 loaded the boot menu, so the question is.... do you have to remove any computer from AD before you re-image it ?

I work in a University you see so computers break daily and therefore will need re-imaging alot, but will I have to remove them from AD before you can re-image them ? I ask because I don't think that was the case with RIS

Ta chaps :hello:

Edited by JononE

• 1 month later...
OK Solved it :thumbup

But now I have another question :wacko:

The problem was STP was on the switch, option 60 PXClient was on the DHCP scope and thats not needed if the DHCP Server and WDS Server are different physical computers, and the IP Helper wasn't added to the switch... and the last which is the next question I have if anyone can answer it.

The computer I have tried to network boot resets once an IP address has been handed out, but it is a computer in Active Directory, another PC which wasn't in AD once I pressed F12 loaded the boot menu, so the question is.... do you have to remove any computer from AD before you re-image it ?

I work in a University you see so computers break daily and therefore will need re-imaging alot, but will I have to remove them from AD before you can re-image them ? I ask because I don't think that was the case with RIS

Ta chaps :hello:

Hey I really am new to posting, please can someone let me know how to post after signing in,

I have a issue with WDS, I copied the CD with SP2 to the server, the server is running DNS, DHCP, AD and so on it is not a WINS but that doesn't matter. Anyway I was able to send the image to the workstation. However after the computer boot up and went to Win XP my LAN driver is not there I get this error message

post-165351-1201119060_thumb.jpg

I know that i have to add the driver but i don't know where to add the drive in the image, if you can help me in any way it would be a big help. Once again I really would like help with where to edit the image file, to add the right driver to the image so that way I can push the image out to my workstation.

Also once again if someone can inform me how to post correctly that would help as well.

Jonone,

I prestage my RIS PCs for RIS in AD.

Create a computer acount of your choice & add the GUID to the correct window when creating the account. I then boot to PXE & RIS menues apear. if i dont have the GUID's set on an account in AD then PXE will not boot to RIS for that PC.

ddiferent,

Use Autoimage to modify your existing RIS image as it will let you integrate full driver packs & Windows updates.

Autoimage - http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

BTS Driverpacks - http://www.driverpacks.net/

RyanVM update packs - http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

Edited by chiners_68