A few stupid things about vista and how I get around them

PC_LOAD_LETTER

I figured since there is so much griping about Vista, I figured I'd get it on it too but i decided to do it a little more constructively than usual

#1 the new start menu in a tiny box in the corner of my screen

startframens4.th.jpg

Ok I Agree, Next, Next, Finish, Start, All Programs, Squint, Sit up in chair, Hunch over monitor, Still looking, Scroll, Still looking, wait what the hell was I looking for again?

The problem I'm referring to is the absurd idea that every program I will ever need on my Vista system will fit in a 20 item list tucked way in the corner on my screen. I have an awesome 24" LCD monitor and here I am struggling to find a program in a list because Ive been restricted to a tiny frame inside my start menu. There should be an option to allow the Start menu to 'pop out' like it did in XP. but as far as i know, there isn't one so I found a bit of a workaround:

startframefixfy6.th.jpg

which makes the start menu look like this:

startframefixedms2.th.jpg

Its not perfect but it'll get me by until someone figures out a way to make the All Programs menu pop out like XPs

#2 Microsofts obsession with the color blue

Ok I've installed Vista and Ive just activated Aero by installing my graphics drivers so I can now change my glass color so i never again have to see that stupid shade of blue MS decided on for Vista Aero (except at MSFN :D )

yayforblueqb1.th.jpg

WRONG! Applications that have windows in windows still use the Aero Basic theme (including Microsofts MMC app)

My solution: Vistaglazz (for patching UXtheme) and Vista Black for Vista Basic by fellow MSFN user Vishal-Gupta

muchbetternj6.th.jpg

I know Vishal-Gupta didn't intend for this them to be used with Aero, but I'm happy to report it goes quite well with it (black matches whatever color glass I decide to use on a given day)

As an added bonus, the shellstyle included with this theme is black so it looks less out of place in explorer.

#3 Stupid hidden File menu

No pics for this one since they aren't needed but as you may have noticed, the File-Edit-View-Tools-Help menu that is the most recognizable and oldest part of explorer is now turned off in Vista but can be re-enabled in Folder Options but youd have to go to the control panel to do that right? Nope. Just hit the alt key with explorer open and it'll display the menu so you can go to Tool->Options and turn it back on if you like. Personally i leave it off as its rarely used anymore but its nice to know how to access it in case you need to.

Regarding the first point: If you know the program's name you are loooking for, you can simply type the name in the search box. It's lightning fast, since the contents of the HDD are indexed by default, and there's no need to muck about.

#1. I can see how that could frustrate people, at first. Coming from XP myself, it took awhile to get used to it. It is soo much faster to just hit my windows key and start typing. It would have still been nice for them to keep the "classic" start menu... Oh wait, just right click your taskbar -> properties -> Start Menu tab -> Select Classic Start Menu option. Granted it's the classic themed start menu, so it looks like it's directly from Windows 2000.

#2. You're upset because it defaults to a very very light blue? At least it isn't the blaring blue of XP's default theme.

#3. An alternative way would be to go to Organize -> Layout -> Menu Bar (it checks it.) Just saying, it's already located in the menus, no need to press alt. Although, I like not having it there and only pressing Alt if I need to use it.

#1. I can see how that could frustrate people, at first. Coming from XP myself, it took awhile to get used to it. It is soo much faster to just hit my windows key and start typing. It would have still been nice for them to keep the "classic" start menu... Oh wait, just right click your taskbar -> properties -> Start Menu tab -> Select Classic Start Menu option. Granted it's the classic themed start menu, so it looks like it's directly from Windows 2000.

#2. You're upset because it defaults to a very very light blue? At least it isn't the blaring blue of XP's default theme.

#3. An alternative way would be to go to Organize -> Layout -> Menu Bar (it checks it.) Just saying, it's already located in the menus, no need to press alt. Although, I like not having it there and only pressing Alt if I need to use it.

#1 yeah the 'classic' version is a little too classic for me if you know what i mean and the new start menu was obviously not designed for a user running at a high resolution with a lot of programs -the fix i discovered is the best of both worlds

#2 both shades of blue are horrible IMO. how hard would it have been to make the Aero basic skins change color with with the Aero glass theme -not very hard

#3 i prefer it that way too -its just that I missed the memo about hitting alt to make it visible and figured I'd share

• 3 weeks later...

#1 agree fully no start menu not to mention the by default hidden run box, seems microsoft assume everone is adapted to using shortcut keys etc. I have a old habit of clicking to load my programs.

#2 I am in a situation where my XP looks better than vista, as I noticed even with a gfx card that has a high aero rating some apps run poor in aero and I have to disable it.

#3 thanks didnt know about alt, I did waste 40 mins getting my menu on tho. The defaults really should be to make it easier to migrate to the os not need people to learn it.