Why wont my serial work for Upgrading from WMCE?

im trying to upgrade my laptop from windows media center edition to windows xp pro. When it says enter the product key i enter it and it says its invalid. Now i know for a fact its valid because when i try validating the key on my other computer it validates, but the only difference is im not running WMCE on it. Im wondering if WMCE has some sort of a security measure that wont let me upgrade without doing something first? Im wondering if this is a common problem. if so sorry for the redundents but i just didnt know what term to search for. Also i would like to mention that my laptop with the WMCE installed is a fujitsu and about 2 years old.

your help is appreciated

bigdank

XP MCE > XP PRO

XP PRO has less features than XP MCE (which is essentially XP PRO SP2 with the 'Media Center' app and dancing people)

also, OEM licenses are not transferable and XP MCE was never available as a retail version so unless you can get OEM versions of your OS, those keys will not work (and if theyve been on other hardware you may have activation issues)

So if you really dont want MCE just delete the shortcut off the desktop and pretend its XP PRO. you arent missing anything else by not installing XP PRO.

The key on the laptop is specific to the MCE version of XP, and you can't use it on XP Pro (that's considered a different version), just like you can't use it on XP Home either.

i already know this. i didnt use the EMC serial to try and install xp pro. i used an xp pro serial to try and install xp pro.

XP MCE > XP PRO

XP PRO has less features than XP MCE (which is essentially XP PRO SP2 with the 'Media Center' app and dancing people)

also, OEM licenses are not transferable and XP MCE was never available as a retail version so unless you can get OEM versions of your OS, those keys will not work (and if theyve been on other hardware you may have activation issues)

So if you really dont want MCE just delete the shortcut off the desktop and pretend its XP PRO. you arent missing anything else by not installing XP PRO.

i dont like it because of compatibility issues. it wont let me run a lot of my favorite programs. help me figure out a way to get this operating system off my computer!! i recently bought a copy of windows vista and when i try and install that it gives me the same issues of the key being invalid. i dont really want vista on it i was just trying to get MCE off my laptop.

Edited by Bigdank

If you "Bought" a copy of windows Vista then it will not tell you the serial is invalid unless you are selecting the wrong version during the intitial setup section. You also wasted your money Vista is way more expensive than XP Pro.

The only way to get rid of MCE is to buy XP Pro and install it.

What programs can't you run?

Like the others have said MCE IS XP Pro just with a couple of extra features.

Failing anything else use nLite and delete the MCE components from your disk.

i used an xp pro serial to try and install xp pro.
There a different versions of Pro also Retail, Oem and VLK you are mixing keys and media up...

i already know this. i didnt use the EMC serial to try and install xp pro. i used an xp pro serial to try and install xp pro.

Is the serial retail or OEM, and is the copy of XP Pro you're installing retail or OEM? If you try to use a retail key on an OEM install, or an OEM key on a retail install, this is the exact error you're going to get.

alright i didnt really buy windows vista, i didnt even try to install it nor have i ever. i was just trying to use it as a metaphorical example because the last moderator that posted sounded really confused. Maybe i mis typed my original question or she/he mis interpreted it. The fact is, i have a Legitimate copy of windows xp pro and it will not validate my cd key which IS DEFINITLY THE KEY. so i dont know what the deal is. i appreciate all the extra info like i got ripped off and whatever but can we plz stay away from degression and stick to the point. thx again for the help.

Edit: im trying to use the same serial i got with the XP Pro disk when i bought it from the store. Would that be considered OEM? I bought the copy of xp pro seperate from the computer i built.

Also, my main problem with compaitbility issues has to do with audio interface hardware.

Edited by Bigdank

SO your saying "I can install, but it will not activate"?

Then call MS and tell them you have bought a legit media and was given a non-legit key with it...

That is not what im saying. My mistake if i didnt use correct terminology or i misleaded you. What happends is, i get to the xp prompt to where it says, enter your product key, then i enter the key, then it says its invalid when i press next. I cannot get beyond that point to where i am able to install windows. I hope that clears everything up. Like i said my serial is legitimate. It is not working only on this stuburn laptop.

i think im starting to understand. i cant install it because i bought the copy of windows xp pro from a store; and in contrast, i bought the laptop with a pre installed version of MCE from the factory? if thats the case what do i have to do to change the OS on the laptop?

if you bought XP Pro RETAIL (came in a big blue box) and you have the original Hologram media and the CD-Key from the Microsoft COA (certificate of authenticity) that came in that box, then boot from that cd and do a clean install. It will wipe out everything on the system (including XP MCE) so be sure to have a second PC available or download drivers for your laptop to a USB drive/Burn a CD BEFORE installing.

If you do not have all of the following do NOT attempt a clean install:

XP Pro Retail CD

CD-Key from the COA

the COA itself (in case you have to call MS if you have an activation issue)

NIC/Modem Drivers or another PC

But seriously, I've worked on tons of PCs with every flavor of XP and i can tell you no compatibility issues exist in MCE that arent present in XP SP2. Just trying to save you a lengthy reinstall of essentially the same OS.