Help with HD partitions

kumarkumar

I have two HDs in my computer. One is a PATA and one a SATA.

PATA is conneted to the DVD drive and is configured as Master. I want to to install WinXP in the SATA and keep the PATA for data.

Now the problem is, during WinXP installation it marks the PATA drive as "C" and SATA as "D" (in the screen where you choose where to install WinXP)

So now when I try to install it on SATA (marked as "D").........after installation is over and I try to restart the computer it never boots and gives the popular ntldr missing error........cause Windows was not installed in "C".

I tried to change the drive letter of PATA in Windows from Disk Management but it won't let me do so becoz it is marked as a System drive.

What do I do? How do I make the SATA as "C" and PATA as "D"?

Pls help

(PS: I looked in the BIOS for any setting but couldn't find anything suitable. I also tried changing the PATA to Slave but that didn't help me either)

Edited by kumarkumar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kumarkumar,

I had a similar problem with a new build a few months ago. I had a SATA HD, a SATA optical drive, and a multiple card reader device, which is USB. With all the hardware connected and running an nLite Windows XP installation, the USB devices were enumerated first as drives C:-I:, then the SATA HD was enumerated as J:, and the optical drive was K:. To get Windows XP to install on the HD and have the HD enumerated as C:, all I needed to do was disconnect the multiple card reader device from the USB port and re-install Windows XP. WXP installed on the properly enumerated HD, and the optical drive became D:. After reinstalling WXP I reconnected the card reader and all is now good, with the card readers becoming devices E:-K:.

So, to make a long story short (oops I guess it's too late for that now), disconnect the PATA HD, reinstall WXP, and then reconnect the PATA drive. You should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike