Computer freezing

Thunderbolt 2864

I got this annoying problem.

When my computer freezes I always notice the hard drive light is always on red. And when I mean my computer freezes it just sits there, can't even move the mouse. So is this a hardware problem or a driver/software problem? Please help, thanks.

I am guessing the HDD, if it was software you should still be able to move the mouse and just end whatever process is causing the lag.

run this tool: Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

http://support.wdc.com/download/windlg/WinDLG.zip

It should work on your Seagate, it works on my Samsung drives.

So is this a hardware problem or a driver/software problem? Please help, thanks.

Did you de-install the ATI display drivers before installing the nVidia card?

I would try a new fresh install of XP/2003 first and then we know if it’s hardware or software...

I ran it and it said pass. I performed all the tests and the computer is still playing up. It either freezes, or restarts or gives me a blue screen of death.

Configure your box for a complete memory dump and make sure you've got a PS/2 keyboard attached. The next time your box hangs, hold down the right-hand ctrl key and press the scroll lock key twice. If your box DOESN'T bugcheck with a STOP 0xE2, you have a hardware problem. If it does bugcheck, zip it up and host it somewhere we can get to the .dmp file and look at it (or open it yourself in windbg and run !locks on it and post that here in code tags, although providing the file is much easier for us).

Yeah, a PS/2 keyboard request is an interrupt - it's possible for it not to be hardware, but that chance is really, really remote. If your box can't even handle an interrupt, I start checking hardware right away :)