Direct Registry Manipulation

I'm trying to make my AIO-DVD a little easier to maintain. In particular, I'm trying to gather all the related stuff together. So, for example, when Firefox is installed, I want to keep all the related commands together in config.js rather than having the installation happen in config.js and then having a batch file come along later and twiddle the Quick Launch area, kill of any autostart registry keys etc.

I can fiddle with registry keys using nircmd.exe like this:

cmd4[pn]=['%CDROM%\\DVD-Tools\\nircmd.exe regdelval HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run "Mozilla Quick Launch"']

That's fine but it's a tad unwieldy. Slightly worse than that, I've found that nircmd.exe has issues when run under Win2K. I don't recall exactly what the issues are and I'm not too worried since I rarely use Win2K, but if there's a built-in WPI feature I'm missing, I'd like to know about it.

One other minor tweak I'd like to be able to make (while I'm fiddling anyway!) is that, where possible, I'd prefer to not disturb the original environment. Taking the Firefox installation above as an example, I'd like to check, before installing Firefox, whether the "Mozilla Quick Launch" value already exists in the specified key, and, if so, I'd like to not touch it afterwards. This would allow me to try a basic sanity-test of my WPI config on a running machine with having to go through the whole "build-DVD, perform full unattended OS install" cycle.

Thanks for any ideas.

You could always just use reg.exe, its built-in to windows:

cmd4[pn]=['reg delete HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run /v "Mozilla Quick Launch" /f']

If you want to be able to check to see if the value is already there, you will need to make this registry value deletion a separate program entry. Make it dependent of the Mozilla program, and use the grayed condition to check if the registry value exists.